Comfort food can be nutritious as well as yummy. With the rise of comfort food menus, meatloaf has returned to restaurants as well as Americans' dinner tables.
Meatloaf is one of the best comfort foods, particularly in winter. Many recipes exist and most cooks have their favorite.
As the basis of a great dinner, it can be surrounded by or covered in potatoes and served alongside veggies and/or a salad.
A plus for meatloaf fans who want to nominate it as their #1 comfort food? It makes fabulous next-day sandwiches.
- 1 pound of ground meat. Use all beef or a mixture of ground beef with your choice of veal or pork.
- 1 cup of bread crumbs. Use less or more based how moist you like your meatloaf. Choose your favorite flavored or unflavored crumbs.
- Make your own to save some money and customize taste.
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium size green bell pepper and 1/2 same size red bell pepper, chopped small
- 1small yellow onion chopped small
- 3/4 cup of ketchup or less depending on taste
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper.
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
In a medium size skillet, saute bell peppers and onion in oil over low-medium heat for a scant few minutes. Set aside when done.
Combine egg, black pepper and bread crumbs with meat in a large mixing bowl.
Add ketchup to the meat mixture, using your hands to combine all ingredients, checking on how the meat holds together.
Add more ketchup to taste and more breadcrumbs if the meat needs more to bind it in the shape of a loaf.
Take bell peppers and onion from skillet and combine to meat mixture.
Shape into loaf and place in glass or Pyrex baking dish.
Cook uncovered for 40 minutes or until the top of the loaf starts forming a bit of crust.
Separately cook bacon slices to drape over the loaf when done. You can also put the bacon slices on the loaf as it cooks, making sure you add them with enough time to cook through.
Make mashed potatoes and cover the loaf with them prior to cooking the meat. Cover the loaf with aluminum foil for half the cooking time, uncovering the loaf until meat is done.
What are your favorite variations on a comfort dinner of meatloaf? Post in comments section below. Image: Wikipedia
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- MasterChef 4 premieres: Greenback flambé, a wedding proposal, and redemption
- Spare ribs marinade ideas for Memorial Day grilling
- Feed Your Late-Night Cravings on 'Last Call Food Brawl'
- Can a Low-Carb Flaxseed Meal Muffin Really Taste Good? YES!
- Edible life on Mars? NASA explores 3-D pizza printers
- 20 Exciting Ways to Use Eggshells For Home and Garden
- Carlos Santana's $65 Supernatural Napa Valley wine
- Operation BBQ dishes up good food to Oklahoma tornado victims
- Cake mix recall, Eco-Cuisine self reports
- Regrowing Foods from Kitchen Scraps Can Save Money Year-Round
- HGTV Memorial Day Cocktails Liven Up Summer Parties
- Four foods a day to keep the doctor away
- Apples to Whole Grain: why and how these 17 foods fight cancer
- Good Eggs Needed for the Chief Egg Officer Search Contest
- Meatless Monday's 10 Hot Tips For Tasty Summer Grilling That'll Get You Fired Up For A Healthy BBQ Season