Lakers coach Mike Brown, perhaps in sympathy with his young center Andrew Bynum, got stopped for speeding this week on one of Southern California's many freeways.
Brown, the speeder was stopped on Wednesday, prior to the team's journey north to play the Portland Trailblazers tonight at the Rose Garden. According to TMZ, Coach Brown was clocked at almost 85 mph in a 65 mph zone.
The CHP officer involved must be a Lakers fan because only a warning was issued rather than a costly speeding ticket. The team's starting center Andrew Bynum was recently stopped twice in the last few weeks, once for speeding and the other for attempting an illegal passing technique.
The 24 year-old had a lot of time on his hands to create traffic havoc during a four-game suspension to start the NBA season. He was punished for roughing up the Dallas Mavericks back up point guard, J.J. Barea in the final game of the playoff series between the Lakers and Mavs last May.
Bynum has become notorious in and around Los Angeles for repeatedly parking in handicapped-only spaces when he retail shops. The owner of 13 cars, he also has a growing issue with the rules of the road. All will be forgiven by Lakers fans if he maintains the level of performance he has demonstration on the court since his return from suspension.
In the first 20-20 game of his career, Bynum torched the Houston Rockets on Tuesday night at Staples Center, with 21 points and 22 rebounds during the Lakers 108-99 win. That followed the 29 points, 13 boards game he put up against Denver in the Lakers 92-89 win over the Nuggets on New Year's Eve. It was his first game back on the court after the suspension.
Andrew Bynum has been rumored to be part of a trade package sought by the Orlando Magic in exchange for the Lakers getting Magic center Dwight Howard. No trade has been pulled off yet but the talk around L.A. has been all about the comparison between the two men and who would be better for the team.
Bynum has made his statement on the court, while making certain not to gripe in public about the possibility that he'll be gone at some point in the future.
Mike Brown is relatively new in town and has been pretty busy to say the least, since he arrived. All of Phil Jackson's former assistant coaches and training staff, with the exception of Gary Vitti, were told to find other work and Brown has amassed a large contingent of his own helpers for the task at hand.
That would be installing a new offense and defense, with a heavy concentration on getting the ball into the post and Andrew Bynum, while allowing Kobe the ability to pretty much shoot at will. The team lost its first two games and have righted the ship to go to a 4-3 record.
The compressed two-week training camp, including only two pre-season games did not allow time for the Lakers to fully absorb Brown's new system and it shows on the court. The fact that they began the regular season with three games in a row robbed them of practice time, making matters a bit harder.
Mike Brown's been a patient man and seems to have earned the trust of captains Kobe Bryant and Derek Fisher, while appealing to the players who find his methods easier to assimilate than the triangle offense relied on by Jackson and his staff.
The Lakers play the Portland Trailblazers (4-1) tonight and the game will be televised nationally on TNT.
Image source: Wikimedia Commons/Keith Allison
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- Cake mix recall, Eco-Cuisine self reports
- Regrowing Foods from Kitchen Scraps Can Save Money Year-Round
- HGTV Memorial Day Cocktails Liven Up Summer Parties
- Four foods a day to keep the doctor away
- Apples to Whole Grain: why and how these 17 foods fight cancer
- Good Eggs Needed for the Chief Egg Officer Search Contest
- Meatless Monday's 10 Hot Tips For Tasty Summer Grilling That'll Get You Fired Up For A Healthy BBQ Season
- Totally loco number of Doritos Locos Tacos sold in just over a year will blow your mind
- Crazy liquored-up ice cream collection captures 'free spirit' of F. Scott Fitzgerald's muse
- An American original: Oscar Mayer introduces the first bacon hot dog: The Bacon Dog
- Food Suggestions to Help Decrease PMS Symptoms
- Eat, drink and argue: dinner table spats on reality TV
- San Francisco residents cut out popular restaurant's bacon fat, literally
- Two New York Times Food Writers take a grocery shopping tour (video)
- Gary Cole, federal prisoner: Taco Bell stole his Doritos Locos Tacos idea