Packing a lunch can make or break your day if you are on an eating program and trying to stay on a budget.
Lunch ideas might seem limited when you have to take them with you and you're counting calories and pennies.
Are you really going to slap peanut butter and jelly on two slices of bread for the umpteenth time, or break down and buy something at a deli or fast food shop?
Planning for your active lifestyle is the key to keeping within your fat gram count and your weekly budget.
The Weight Watchers advice about lunch meal variety for those on-the-go is simple:
- Grocery shop with your to-go meals in mind
- Cook in bulk for yummy leftovers
- Have the containers in your cupboards
What should you be looking for to break out of your rut but be happy with your lunch choice?
Making wraps, rather than the more typical sandwiches is as easy as substituting tortillas for bread.
Make certain you choose the right equivalent to fit into the eating regime you have chosen.
For example, the popular Sandwich Thins (a product of Oroweat brand foods) in the 100% whole wheat variety can compare favorably to a low carb, high in fiber whole wheat tortilla.
The La Tortilla Factory brand large, "made with whole wheat" tortilla contains fewer carb grams (18) than the 22 in the Sandwich Thins product with more fiber grams (12 vs. 5). It provides more protein (8 grams vs. 5), but also features a higher fat gram total (3 grams) than the Oroweat product (1 gram).
In Weight Watcher Points Plus program lingo however, the two are equivalent choices for a meal, with a three Points Plus value.
What's left is to think about what to wrap in your tortilla.
Turkey sausage wrap
- One large tortilla
- 2 Jimmy Dean brand turkey sausage patties
- Shredded lettuce
- Thinly sliced red onion
- Coarse ground Dijon mustard
Microwave the pre-cooked sausage patties as directed (one minute or a bit more if taken straight from freezer) and slice them up into small pieces. Place on the tortilla at one end. Dot the tortilla with mustard to taste and sprinkle the lettuce and onion on top. Roll the tortilla mixture and hold it all together with two or three strategically placed toothpicks.
Serving suggestions: For those concerned with the onion smell, eliminate it and substitute diced tomatoes and/or sliced, canned black olives.
Alternatives to the sausage patties: Left over chicken breast, lean beef, or deli roasted turkey slices.
The Jimmy Dean brand turkey sausage is spicy for those that crave a full-bodied taste in their lunch treat. Two patties contain 120 calories, 7 fat grams (zero from trans fat) 1 gram of carbs and 13 protein grams. They total three Points Plus values for those on the Weight Watchers plan.
Image: Google Images/Flickr
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- Meatless Monday's 10 Hot Tips For Tasty Summer Grilling That'll Get You Fired Up For A Healthy BBQ Season
- Totally loco number of Doritos Locos Tacos sold in just over a year will blow your mind
- Crazy liquored-up ice cream collection captures 'free spirit' of F. Scott Fitzgerald's muse
- An American original: Oscar Mayer introduces the first bacon hot dog: The Bacon Dog
- Food Suggestions to Help Decrease PMS Symptoms
- Eat, drink and argue: dinner table spats on reality TV
- San Francisco residents cut out popular restaurant's bacon fat, literally
- Two New York Times Food Writers take a grocery shopping tour (video)
- Gary Cole, federal prisoner: Taco Bell stole his Doritos Locos Tacos idea
- Reduce your kidney stone risk by 23 percent by doing this
- HGTV Kitchen Cousins Are Coming Back for More
- Celebrity chef allegedly killed over poorly prepared noodles
- KFC smuggling in Gaza with labor problems in US (VIDEO)
- Weekend Recipe: Rainbow chard, cherries and balsamic with grilled trout
- Deer Corn Recall Issued, FDA Indicates Possible Aflatoxin Contamination