Maybe Geraldo Rivera can explain the power of tequila, after his celebration prior to this year's National Tequila Day this year. Why?
Here is what he told media yesterday, after his "selfie" was published with Geraldo sans clothing.
“This weekend, it was tequila. I never do tequila when I’m alone, but I had this new bottle that someone had given me for my birthday,” the 70-year-old star admitted. “By the second one, my fate was sealed."
Rivera went on to explain that his love of the photo made it seem the right thing to do: "“It was 2:30 a.m., and I said, ‘Damn it, I like that picture,’” he confessed. “I learned how to use Twitter a couple weeks ago, and there it was.”
Everyone has their favorite brand or variety of tequila and here are some chosen as best by some media outlets.
Fox News offers these as its top five:
- Herradura Reserva 2012 - Port Cask Finish $90 a bottle
- Partida Tequila Elegante $350 a bottle
- Milagro Unico $300 a bottle
- Avión Silver $45 a bottle
- Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia $120 a bottle
Esquire offers its own list of favorites in different categories of tequila:
- Highland Blanco El Tesoro Platinum $38 a bottle
- Blanco Lowland Arette Blanco Suave $50 a bottle
- Highland Reposado No. 1 Siete Leguas $42 a bottle
- Highland Reposado No. 2 Gran Centenario $53 a bottle
- Lowland Reposado No. 1 Partida $58 a bottle
For the totally uninitiated, here are the types of tequila and what makes each unique.
- Silver/Blanco is aged up to 60 days in a container, if aged at all. It is used primarily for mixing.
- Gold is an unaged silver tequila that is colored and flavored with caramel, making it sweet and a favorite for frozen margarita drinks.
- Reposado Tequilas are aged in wood tanks or casks for a minimum of 2 months, some for four times as long. They are great for sipping
- Anejo Tequilas are aged for at least one year in wood casks, producing a dark, rich color and flavor.
Whatever you fancy, know that you are not alone on the National Tequila Day. Enjoy!
Image: Wikimedia Commons