Vin Scully, Los Angeles Dodgers broadcaster has decided to reduce the number of "away" games he will work during the 2012 baseball season.
The Dodgers announced that Vin Scully their legendary play-by-play man, who is about to begin an unprecedented 63rd season behind the microphone will stop traveling with the team when it goes to Colorado to play the Rockies.
Over the past few years Vin Scully has stopped traveling to the mid-west and eastern states with the club, with rare exceptions. After deciding to nix the games in Colorado, only Arizona is left on the list of places outside the state of California Scully will travel to call the games for the Dodgers.
The team said, that Scully, " 'Voice of the Dodgers,' will call more than 100 games for the Dodgers this year, including all televised Dodger home games and road telecasts in California and Arizona. The first three innings of each of the games Scully calls will be simulcast on the radio. Scully’s 62 years of service constitute the longest tenure of any broadcaster in sports history.'"
For other road games, the television broadcast booth will be manned by former Major Leaguer Steve Lyons, who is returning for his eighth season as an analyst on Dodger telecasts, and Eric Collins, who is entering his fourth season calling Dodger baseball.
Vin Scully still works a one man booth, something that was common for all baseball teams at one time, as was simulcasting television and radio play-by-play coverage.
The Dodgers said that he will continue to call the games by himself for a three inning simulcast during games he covers. From the fourth inning through the completion of the game, the radio teams will assume the responsibilities while Scully takes care of the television side.
The radio teams include both English language and Spanish language coverage by two-man teams. English-language radio broadcast will be led by the award-winning team of Rick Monday and Charley Steiner.
Hall of Famer Jaime Jarrín, Pepe Yñiguez and legendary Dodger pitcher Fernando Valenzuela will call the action in Spanish for the Dodgers. Valenzuela enters his 10th season calling games for the Dodgers after a 17-year playing career.
Vin Scully moved west with the Dodgers to Los Angeles in 1958 and for decades has been the only active tie to the years of the Brooklyn Dodgers when they battled their intra-city rivals in N.Y the Giants and Yankees for sports page headlines in the tabloids.
His first season with the Dodgers was 1950 when he worked alongside Red Barber. When Barber left the organization over what is said to be a salary dispute, Scully assumed the lead role which made him the youngest play-by-play announced in the Major Leagues at the age of 25.
The Baseball Almanac has scads of famous quotes from Scully's thousands of baseball broadcasts throughout the years. Here are a few:
"Good is not good when better is expected."
How good was Stan Musial? He was good enough to take your breath away." (1989)
"It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star Game and an old timer's game." (1980)
"Andre Dawson has a bruised knee and is listed as day-to-day (pause). Aren't we all?" (1990)
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons/Craig Y. Fujii
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- 20 Exciting Ways to Use Eggshells For Home and Garden
- Carlos Santana's $65 Supernatural Napa Valley wine
- Operation BBQ dishes up good food to Oklahoma tornado victims
- Cake mix recall, Eco-Cuisine self reports
- Regrowing Foods from Kitchen Scraps Can Save Money Year-Round
- HGTV Memorial Day Cocktails Liven Up Summer Parties
- Four foods a day to keep the doctor away
- Apples to Whole Grain: why and how these 17 foods fight cancer
- Good Eggs Needed for the Chief Egg Officer Search Contest
- Meatless Monday's 10 Hot Tips For Tasty Summer Grilling That'll Get You Fired Up For A Healthy BBQ Season
- Totally loco number of Doritos Locos Tacos sold in just over a year will blow your mind
- Crazy liquored-up ice cream collection captures 'free spirit' of F. Scott Fitzgerald's muse
- An American original: Oscar Mayer introduces the first bacon hot dog: The Bacon Dog
- Food Suggestions to Help Decrease PMS Symptoms
- Eat, drink and argue: dinner table spats on reality TV