Vin Scully, Los Angeles Dodgers broadcaster has decided to reduce the number of "away" games he will work during the 2012 baseball season.
The Dodgers announced that Vin Scully their legendary play-by-play man, who is about to begin an unprecedented 63rd season behind the microphone will stop traveling with the team when it goes to Colorado to play the Rockies.
Over the past few years Vin Scully has stopped traveling to the mid-west and eastern states with the club, with rare exceptions. After deciding to nix the games in Colorado, only Arizona is left on the list of places outside the state of California Scully will travel to call the games for the Dodgers.
The team said, that Scully, " 'Voice of the Dodgers,' will call more than 100 games for the Dodgers this year, including all televised Dodger home games and road telecasts in California and Arizona. The first three innings of each of the games Scully calls will be simulcast on the radio. Scully’s 62 years of service constitute the longest tenure of any broadcaster in sports history.'"
For other road games, the television broadcast booth will be manned by former Major Leaguer Steve Lyons, who is returning for his eighth season as an analyst on Dodger telecasts, and Eric Collins, who is entering his fourth season calling Dodger baseball.
Vin Scully still works a one man booth, something that was common for all baseball teams at one time, as was simulcasting television and radio play-by-play coverage.
The Dodgers said that he will continue to call the games by himself for a three inning simulcast during games he covers. From the fourth inning through the completion of the game, the radio teams will assume the responsibilities while Scully takes care of the television side.
The radio teams include both English language and Spanish language coverage by two-man teams. English-language radio broadcast will be led by the award-winning team of Rick Monday and Charley Steiner.
Hall of Famer Jaime Jarrín, Pepe Yñiguez and legendary Dodger pitcher Fernando Valenzuela will call the action in Spanish for the Dodgers. Valenzuela enters his 10th season calling games for the Dodgers after a 17-year playing career.
Vin Scully moved west with the Dodgers to Los Angeles in 1958 and for decades has been the only active tie to the years of the Brooklyn Dodgers when they battled their intra-city rivals in N.Y the Giants and Yankees for sports page headlines in the tabloids.
His first season with the Dodgers was 1950 when he worked alongside Red Barber. When Barber left the organization over what is said to be a salary dispute, Scully assumed the lead role which made him the youngest play-by-play announced in the Major Leagues at the age of 25.
The Baseball Almanac has scads of famous quotes from Scully's thousands of baseball broadcasts throughout the years. Here are a few:
"Good is not good when better is expected."
How good was Stan Musial? He was good enough to take your breath away." (1989)
"It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star Game and an old timer's game." (1980)
"Andre Dawson has a bruised knee and is listed as day-to-day (pause). Aren't we all?" (1990)
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons/Craig Y. Fujii
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- Gary Cole, federal prisoner: Taco Bell stole his Doritos Locos Tacos idea
- Reduce your kidney stone risk by 23 percent by doing this
- HGTV Kitchen Cousins Are Coming Back for More
- Celebrity chef allegedly killed over poorly prepared noodles
- KFC smuggling in Gaza with labor problems in US (VIDEO)
- Weekend Recipe: Rainbow chard, cherries and balsamic with grilled trout
- Deer Corn Recall Issued, FDA Indicates Possible Aflatoxin Contamination
- Cooking with Kale: Easy Recipes to Get You Started with This Superfood
- Zoe Saldana Reveals Her Weight as Women of All Sizes Strive for Confidence
- Outdoor grilling lessons - get ready for summer
- Where are Marley 12 oz cold coffee cups sold?
- Hot weather dinner salad - asparagus, tomatoes and tuna
- In Which HGTV Giveaway Home Can You Find This Kitchen?
- Food Allergies: Which Allergens Are Recognized by Law?
- Grapefruit and prescription meds, when are they safe to mix?