The battle rounds on The Voice featured three great matchups, including a pair from Team Cee Lo that showcased flamboyant singers who concentrated a bit too much on choreography.
The Voice battle rounds continued on Tuesday night and The Steal once again saved a worthy contestant.
The format also quickly exposed those that weren't up to the task of singing with and against a team member.
Team Cee Lo: Domo vs. Cody "Bam Bam" Belew
Domo and Cody were given "Telephone" by Lady Gaga and as Cee Lo said, "I want you to interpret the song and rewrite it for yourself to stand out."
He hit on the point of the battle rounds. While a duet requires synergy between the singers, one can use the opportunity to shine. Even if that isn't the case, one contestant gets sent home based on a choice made for other reasons. The Steal can always save the one not chosen.
Domo, as Cee Lo said is more of a dancer who can sing, while Cody is a singer who can dance. Domo had a great time drawing up dance moves and getting Cody to shake his booty enough to please her. See video posted below.
Neither did a great job and Cee Lo made his choice based on the vocal performance as instructed in the coaching and rehearsal sessions.
Cody got the nod and will move on to the next round of the competition. Domo will never understand how she didn't make the cut. Needless to say no one pushed their Steal buttons.
Team Christina: Aquile vs Nathalie Hernandez
The fifteen year-old Nathalie's sweet voice was paired with Aquile's in a rendition of "You Give Me Something" by James Morrison.
Billie Joe Armstrong encouraged Nathalie to project her voice to the extent she could and characterized her style as a cross between Nathalie Merchant and Nora Jones.
Xtina's advice to Nathalie throughout the coaching and rehearsals was: "I'm telling you that despite you being 15 and not having had the heartbreak the songs about, you have to find what the song means to you. You're holding back."
Nathalie made progress but was no match for Aquile. After their performance it wasn't hard to see that Aquile's voice was truly made for the song.
Cee Lo called Aquile's voice commanding. Adam consoled Nathalie by saying that at the age of 15 he was, "....a zit" and not even close to being as polished as she. When no one pushed their Steal buttons, Christina was a bit disappointed.
"I wish Blake would have stolen her. He would be perfect for her, but it's not the end of the line for Nathalie."
Team Adam: Melanie Martinez vs. Caitlyn Michele
In the battle of the night, both ladies came out winners when the one not chosen by Adam Levine was picked up in the fight to Steal her.
"Lights" by Ellie Goulding was chosen as the song for the two unique and pure voices. The coaching and rehearsal process did not go smoothly however as the singers seemed to tire mentally towards the end.
It didn't please Adam who told them that winning the competition and a career as a singer requires toughness to push through those times when you just don't have enough.
It must have scared Melanie and Caitlyn because their performance was one of the best so far this season and clearly topped the night of battle rounds.
In an interesting strategy brought on by the introduction of The Steal, the three other judges were careful not to favor one over the other during their critiques.
"The only reason the other three aren't stating a preference is because they will want to steal one of you," Adam told the ladies. "I am so over the moon about both of you. This is so hard."
He chose Melanie, the singer with the two-tone hair and the gap between her front teeth who took the song and wrapped it around her slight frame. In the next battle, this one among the judges all pushing their Steal buttons, Cee Lo won the day as Caitlyn quickly chose him as her next coach.
The Voice airs shows on Monday and Tuesday nights beginning at 8:00 p.m. ET/PT. Image: Wikimedia Commons
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- HGTV Memorial Day Cocktails Liven Up Summer Parties
- Four foods a day to keep the doctor away
- Apples to Whole Grain: why and how these 17 foods fight cancer
- Good Eggs Needed for the Chief Egg Officer Search Contest
- Meatless Monday's 10 Hot Tips For Tasty Summer Grilling That'll Get You Fired Up For A Healthy BBQ Season
- Totally loco number of Doritos Locos Tacos sold in just over a year will blow your mind
- Crazy liquored-up ice cream collection captures 'free spirit' of F. Scott Fitzgerald's muse
- An American original: Oscar Mayer introduces the first bacon hot dog: The Bacon Dog
- Food Suggestions to Help Decrease PMS Symptoms
- Eat, drink and argue: dinner table spats on reality TV
- San Francisco residents cut out popular restaurant's bacon fat, literally
- Two New York Times Food Writers take a grocery shopping tour (video)
- Gary Cole, federal prisoner: Taco Bell stole his Doritos Locos Tacos idea
- Reduce your kidney stone risk by 23 percent by doing this
- HGTV Kitchen Cousins Are Coming Back for More