The Steal worked to perfection during the first night of battle rounds on The Voice. Cee Lo Green realized that he lost Amanda Brown to Team Adam and it could come back to bite him.
What is The Steal?
When coaches have to choose one of their singers over another after pairing them to sing a duet in the battle rounds, other coaches are able to snatch the one not picked.
Who got saved?
1) Amanda Brown on Team Cee Lo. She stunned her coach when they met to pick a song for her and young Trevin Hunte. As Green and his coaching helper Rob Thomas of Matchbox 20 listened to the two work their way through Mariah Carey's "Vision of Love", Cee Lo realized he had picked a gem in Amanda.
"I was so blown away with Amanda. I knew she had a quality voice but I didn't know she had the range," Green said. Rob Thomas couldn't add much but praise. Brown was humble. She had a leg up on 18 year-old Trevin who in addition to being unfamiliar with performing was very shy. At least during rehearsals.
"I'm a bit more comfortable with the song than Trevin. It's just that I had sung Mariah Carey for a long time," she noted. The duet was a stellar moment on the show Cee Lo's fellow coaches were salivating to steal whoever he didn't pick.
Surprisingly Green chose Trevin who had stepped up and showed guts and style in his performance, doing a complete turnaround from rehearsals. It was not as polished as Amanda but Cee Lo wanted to help the young man take his voice to the next level.
The buttons to signify desire to steal a losing contestant were pushed by Blake, Xtina and Adam. By the time Amanda Brown chose Adam Levine Cee Lo got a bit grumpy. Levine asked him why he ever paired the two, knowing how good they were and realizing The Steal could save one.
The truth is that Cee Lo hadn't really considered it when he chose the pair for the duet. He was focused on the performance and it was spectacular.
Collin McLoughlin from Team Adam Levine got his second chance care of The Steal.
Paired with the N.Y. song stylist Bryan Keith, the two were given an extremely difficult song to sing. "Santeria" by Sublime was a tough one to learn with its syncopated rhythms and what Levine called "elongated notes".
McLoughlin with his sunnier style and a bit of a higher voice struggled getting the style right. Coaching helper to Levine, Mary J Blige told Collin, 'You've got to feel it. We need to hear it in your voice."
Keith's biggest issue was getting the chord changes correct during the elongated notes, but he had the swagger and attitude the song required. As Collin got more comfortable with the style he believed the battle could go either way.
When it came to performance time, both men did what they needed to do and had practiced hard to perfect their delivery. Collin rebounded so well that after Adam chose Bryan, Cee Lo and Blake went for The Steal.
Adam's choice was based on how well the singers executed what Levine called one of his favorite songs, "...so that it would make me want to take them forward in the competition."
Collin decided to join Team Blake because during the comments made by the judges, Cee Lo said he believed Bryan was the correct one to pick by Adam. Blake pounced on that and Cee Lo was forced to explain that he believed a better song choice for Collin would feature his talents better.
Watch all the battle rounds from night one on The Voice website, here.
Tune in tonight to NBC's The Voice at 8:00 p.m. ET/PT for an hour-long battle rounds show. Image: NBC The Voice logo
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- Deer Corn Recall Issued, FDA Indicates Possible Aflatoxin Contamination
- Cooking with Kale: Easy Recipes to Get You Started with This Superfood
- Zoe Saldana Reveals Her Weight as Women of All Sizes Strive for Confidence
- Outdoor grilling lessons - get ready for summer
- Where are Marley 12 oz cold coffee cups sold?
- Hot weather dinner salad - asparagus, tomatoes and tuna
- In Which HGTV Giveaway Home Can You Find This Kitchen?
- Food Allergies: Which Allergens Are Recognized by Law?
- Grapefruit and prescription meds, when are they safe to mix?
- Fish oil may prevent junk-food brain damage
- Fans request Peanut Butter Pop-Tarts, and get it
- 5 reasons to love wine spritzers
- The Sharks Come Out on The Chew and the Crew Gags
- Justice served: 'food porn' photo lands ID thieves in jail
- 105-Year-Old Granny's secret to a long life: Bacon, and lots of it