At a meeting Thursday with other area clergy, New York City Archbishop Timothy Dolan issued a call to the community to reduce the alarmingly high abortion rate.
Last month, the NYC Health Department issued statistics revealing that 41% of all pregnancies were aborted in 2009. The national average of 23% pales in comparison to that of the New York City area.
By race, among the highest rates in the NYC area, 46.7% of non-Hispanic Black’s pregnancies were aborted, followed by 32.5% of Hispanics and 11.3% of non-Hispanic Whites.
By age, women from 20-24 represented the largest age group having abortions in 2009 at 29% of all induced terminations (abortions).
Broken down geographically by location, the Borough having the highest percentage of abortions was the Bronx at 48%.
In the report, Health Commissioner Dr. Thomas Farley contrasts current challenges of the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene over its 150-year history by referencing other health epidemics of Yellow Fever, Cholera, AIDS, Tuberculosis, smoking/cancer, obesity, diabetes and heart disease.
If there is a silver-lining to this cloud of concern, it is that over the last decade, the abortion rate in the NYC area has gone down. In contrast, the 1998 abortion rate in NYC was 46%.
Although these latest statistics show an improvement, Archbishop Dolan reminded others at the meeting about the seriousness that this information represents. He stated, “My word, what have we done the last 30 years? There’s candy bowls on people’s desks with condoms, they’re dropping them from airplanes, yet nothing seems to improve, so they’ve been on the wrong track here.”
He went on to say, “We are prepared to do everything in our power to help you and your unborn baby to make absolutely certain that you need never feel that you have no choice but an abortion.”
Planned Parenthood is also concerned about the numbers, but continues to encourage education. “We believe in comprehensive sex education, which by the way, does include abstinence, but abstinence by itself has been proven to be ineffective.”
Watch a brief video report of Archbishop Dolan about this issue here.
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- Deer Corn Recall Issued, FDA Indicates Possible Aflatoxin Contamination
- Cooking with Kale: Easy Recipes to Get You Started with This Superfood
- Zoe Saldana Reveals Her Weight as Women of All Sizes Strive for Confidence
- Outdoor grilling lessons - get ready for summer
- Where are Marley 12 oz cold coffee cups sold?
- Hot weather dinner salad - asparagus, tomatoes and tuna
- In Which HGTV Giveaway Home Can You Find This Kitchen?
- Food Allergies: Which Allergens Are Recognized by Law?
- Grapefruit and prescription meds, when are they safe to mix?
- Fish oil may prevent junk-food brain damage
- Fans request Peanut Butter Pop-Tarts, and get it
- 5 reasons to love wine spritzers
- The Sharks Come Out on The Chew and the Crew Gags
- Justice served: 'food porn' photo lands ID thieves in jail
- 105-Year-Old Granny's secret to a long life: Bacon, and lots of it