In the latest rash of bizarre wildlife deaths, over 2 million dead fish have washed up along the shores of Maryland's Chesapeake Bay, the largest estuary in the United States.
In a statement to Reuters from Maryland's Department of Environment, the agency said that the massive fish deaths are the cause of a sudden drop in temperature in the ocean waters and the young age of the fish populating nearby waters.
"The cause of this appears to be the rapid temperature drop combined with the large population of the juvenile spot fish," Department of Environment spokesman Jay Apperson relayed Thursday.
It is believed that the same type of temperature drop was what likely killed 40,000 Velvet crabs and other marine life around the Kent coastline shores of the United Kingdom.
Strange wildlife deaths have occurred all across the world since around the time of the New Year.
In Arkansas, 5,000 blackbirds fell from the sky on New Year's Eve, with a similar event transpiring in Louisiana a few days later. Arkansas has also been afflicted with massive fish deaths as well.
New Zealand and Brazil have reported hundreds, if not thousands, of dead marine life washing up along shores.
Despite outcry and claims that the recent events are a sign of alien life or the apocalypse, scientists remain confident that recent environmental stresses are what have ultimately caused the losses of animal life; however, speculation will continue to run rampant as long as these massive wildlife deaths continue.
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- MasterChef 4 premieres: Greenback flambé, a wedding proposal, and redemption
- Spare ribs marinade ideas for Memorial Day grilling
- Feed Your Late-Night Cravings on 'Last Call Food Brawl'
- Can a Low-Carb Flaxseed Meal Muffin Really Taste Good? YES!
- Edible life on Mars? NASA explores 3-D pizza printers
- 20 Exciting Ways to Use Eggshells For Home and Garden
- Carlos Santana's $65 Supernatural Napa Valley wine
- Operation BBQ dishes up good food to Oklahoma tornado victims
- Cake mix recall, Eco-Cuisine self reports
- Regrowing Foods from Kitchen Scraps Can Save Money Year-Round
- HGTV Memorial Day Cocktails Liven Up Summer Parties
- Four foods a day to keep the doctor away
- Apples to Whole Grain: why and how these 17 foods fight cancer
- Good Eggs Needed for the Chief Egg Officer Search Contest
- Meatless Monday's 10 Hot Tips For Tasty Summer Grilling That'll Get You Fired Up For A Healthy BBQ Season