Two famous New Jersey politicians, Mayor Cory Booker and Gov. Chris Christie are boasting their reps some.
The two made a more than three minute video parody and posted it to YouTube. Christie, the fiscal conservative and Republican darling, is looking for something to do- like save a baby, a cat or help control a house fire. But his staff, in complete awe of the governor and his power, assure him there's nothing he can do.
And then Booker walks in. Cory Booker's fame as Newark's mayor exploded with the Sundance channel's documentary on Newark, Brick City. Brick City won the 2010 Peabody Award and was also nominated for an Emmy that year. Christie and Booker both accepted a $100 million challenge grant from Facebook founder Mark Zuckerburg for Newark public schools.
Cory Booker is a Democrat, and as such, he's taken on ideals that some would consider fundamentally Northeast democratic. He's been out in the cold shoveling show for Newark's residents. Booker's a Twitter fanatic. He responds personally to tweets from citizens and when he can, he makes personal appearances. During the 2011 blizzard, Booker personally delivered diapers to a family that couldn't get out. He does a number of community service deeds as mayor. In the video parody, Christie playfully shakes his fist at Booker, the "go to guy" and "do it all" man.
The video raises one question: What's next for both of these men? Does Christie have White House hopes, if not in 2012, then four years later? What about Booker? Would New Jersey elect Booker to its governorship? Christie's been hard on fiscal issues throughout his term. He's refused federal government funds to build a new rail in the city. The most liberal amendment made under Christie's leadership is the legalization of medical marijuana in the state.
Even so, New Jersey has the toughest medical marijuana laws of all the 16 states that have legalized medical marijuana.
Booker and Christie are amazingly popular right now. It's a wave that's been tiding for four years mostly because Christie and Booker, despite their party differences come across as real people with real solutions when situations call for it. The worst Christie has done was take a city helicopter to his kid's game. But even then, it's hard to be mad about it simply because New Jersey traffic and New Jersey cops are just horrible.
In the end, Christie reimbursed the state for the helicopter ride. Since then, Mitt Romney's courted Christie, but even in the parody video, Christie says he's tired of people asking him about VP slots. Mitt Romney isn't the most exciting GOP nominee to come along in a while, but Chris Christie on Romney's VP slot would add a major energy and power source to the Romney in the final stretch of the 2012 campaign.
Meanwhile, Booker is often a guest on MSNBC's morning cable news show. He hasn't stopped tweeting to constituents and responds to criticisms as well as praises. He also tweets proverbs and maxims when he's online.
Check out the video parody. It's a wonderful display of a good working relationship between two celebrity politicians. And it starts off with Christie in his office reading a book about him. And ends with Christie handling Mitt Romney.
Photo courtesy: Cory Booker's Facebook page.
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- Set an empty place setting this Memorial Day to honor fallen veterans
- Looking for work this summer? US restaurant industry will add 448,000 summer jobs
- Eating Low-Carb on Memorial Day Can Be Surprisingly Simple
- 4 Grilled shrimp marinade ideas for Memorial Day
- HGTV Memorial Day Weekend Party Menu Ideas are Classic Favorites
- 4 Chicken marinade ideas for Memorial Day grilling
- Edible body scrubs made from foods and sugar in your kitchen
- Kill guests with kindness, not unhealthy drinks this Memorial Day
- MasterChef 4 premieres: Greenback flambé, a wedding proposal, and redemption
- Spare ribs marinade ideas for Memorial Day grilling
- Feed Your Late-Night Cravings on 'Last Call Food Brawl'
- Can a Low-Carb Flaxseed Meal Muffin Really Taste Good? YES!
- Edible life on Mars? NASA explores 3-D pizza printers
- 20 Exciting Ways to Use Eggshells For Home and Garden
- Carlos Santana's $65 Supernatural Napa Valley wine