In 2007, 7 percent of American households had single serving brewers, but in 2012, the number increased 3 percent. That means American consumers aren't trading in their big pots, or two cup brewers easily. And response to complaints about the Keurig cups have propelled inventors and manufacturers to branch out and create new ideas to accommodate the Keurig machine.
A number of stores don’t carry popular K-Cup brands. For example, depending on a coffee drinker's location, Apple Cider (Green Mountain), Butter Toffee ( Gloria Jean) may be hard to find on grocer’s shelves, Amazon picks up the slack and consumers save big money.
Here is Amazon’s list of Keurig Best Sellers, March 20, 2013.
1. The Donut Shop: packs of 50 sell for $29.99 in store, packs of 18 retail for approximately $13.
2. San Francisco Bay Coffee: Fog Chaser 80 count, $27.50
3. Green Mountain Coffee: Dark Magic Extra Bold 50 count $29.99
4. Green Mountain Coffee Breakfast Blend K-Cup Portion Pack: 50 count $29.99
5. Coffee People Donut Shop Coffee Medium Roast, Extra Bold Cup: 96 Count $43.00
6. Grove Square Cappuccino, French Vanilla: 24 count $11.95
7. Green Mountain, Gloria Jean’s, Timotnhy’s Coffee People, Donut House, Celestial Seasonings, Emeril’s Unique Sampler: 35 pack $35.99
8. Emeril’s Big Easy Bold K-Cup Packs: 50 Count $29.95
9. Ekobrew Cup (Refillable Cup for K-Cup Brewers): $10.99/per cup
10. Green Mountain Coffee, Nantucket Blend: 50 count $29.99
11. San Francisco Bay Coffee: 36 Count $17.49
12. Newman’s Own Special Blend Coffee: 80 pack, $42.50
13. Timothy’s Decaf Columbian: 50 count $29.99
14. Caribou Coffee Caribou Blend: 24 Count $15.99
15. Brew and Save Refillable K Cup: $12,85 per cup
16. Tully’s French Roast, 50 count: $29,99
17. Green Mountain Coffee Half Caff: 50 count $29.99
18. Gloria Jean’s Butter Toffee K-Cup: 50 count, $29.99
19. Donut House Collection Coffee, Cinnamon Roll: 24 count $14.65
20. Tully’s Italian Roast, 50 count: $29.99
In stores, 8 – 18 single serve pods are priced between $10 and $14. Online, consumers can almost triple their coffee count for twice that, quickly resolving price, one of three big complaints coffee drinkers have about the Keurig machine.
Environmental waste and limited selection are the number two complaints about the machine. But both of those were quickly resolved with aluminum foil or recyclable cups. Some savvy drinkers and thrifty coffee enthusiasts cover the grind hole with aluminum foil and reuse-no problems.