If you’ve been wanting to imitate the great wings available at restaurants, here’s a buffalo wing recipe that integrates the dipping sauce into the wing for one spicy and memorable tang. The recipe, originally posted by foodfighter, a Buffalo, NY native, answered Food 52’s call for a newer, better, buffalo wing.
Foodfighter’s goal was to combat the major, messy pesky issue of dipping hot wings in bleu cheese. The result, a new recipe titled “Dip Included Buffalo Wings.” Food reviewers who tried the recipe insist that the recipe tastes best when the chef uses the strongest, zestiest bleu cheese available.
• 4 ounces strong bleu cheese
• 2 ounces cream cheese
• 2 ounces sour cream
• 2 pounds chicken wings
• 4 tablespoons Corn Starch
• 2 tablespoons All Purpose Flour
• 1 teaspoon Pepper
• 1 teaspoon Salt
• .5 cups Franks Red Hot Sauce
• 4 tablespoons Butter
• 2 tablespoons Honey
• Lemon juice, to taste
1. Combine cheese and sour cream in Food Processor or Mini Prep and process to smooth spread/puree.
2. Combine Corn Starch, Flour, Salt and Pepper in a shallow dish.
3. Thoroughly dry wings using paper towels. Cover the skin/meat of each wing with a thin layer of the bleu cheese spread. Then dredge each with in the Corn Starch Mixture, making sure each wing is well covered. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
4. Bring 2 - 3 quarts of peanut oil to 365 degrees in a heavy pot (I use a enameled dutch oven). Fry wings in 1 pound batches for about 15 minutes until crispy. For each batch, to cooling rack over newspaper in a sheet pan.
5. Melt butter, stir in hot sauce, honey and lemon juice. Add ground cayenne or more Frank's Red Hot Sauce to taste.
6. Place wings in a wide mouth bowl and pour sauce over the top. Shake bowl gently to distribute sauce.
7. Root for the worst football team in the league, the Buffalo Bills. Not mandatory.