Although Sunday’s eighth Jesse Stone TV movie got great reviews, 67-year-old Tom Selleck says he may retire this Scotch-swilling character.
“I’m always prepared to hear this will be the last one,” explained Tom Selleck after appearing in eight Jesse Stone TV movies – including Sunday’s “Benefit of Doubt” that got good reviews – in a May 17 interview for USA Today. In addition, the actor said: “I refuse to wrap up and resolve everything and do some feel-good show. If it had to end there, it’s not a bad way to go.” While USA Today reported how Selleck, at age 67, “still has legs” for his Jesse Stone character – in the same way he was keen on playing the role of Magnum when he flew around in a Ferrari – his role as Stone is different because it’s a lot like the real Tom Selleck in art imitating real life. Also, the actor is busy with his role as NYPD Commissioner Frank Reagan in what USA Today called “Sellecks’ rave-worthy role on ‘Blue Bloods;’ with this CBS cop show returning for a third season this fall.”
Also, with his role as Jesse Stone now becoming a part of the same legacy role as “Magnum,” Selleck adds how he’s “very, very happy to say” that Stone will remain one of his favorite roles.
In fact, the actor told USA Today that Sunday night’s Jesse Stone TV movie “Benefit of Doubt” was the best Jesse movie yet, because “it’s very deliberate.”
Selleck becomes Jess Stone
The role of Jesse Stone in the series of made-for-TV movies is based on the Robert B. Parker novels. In turn, the series of nine books allows for one more possible Stone TV movie, with Selleck telling USA Today last week that Jesse typically shoots over three weeks in Halifax, Nova Scotia, but there’s no word yet on the ninth and final chapter.
Also, Selleck says “the actual mystery of the show is Jesse. Because they story is told through Jesse’s eyes, the audience has to walk in his shoes.”
Selleck, who is executive producer of Jesse Stone, means he has “a hand in the shaping the scripts;" while the actor also explained how he's "been walking in Jesse’s sturdy lace-ups since 2005, and over time, the two have meshed. “There’s the appreciation for dogs and Scotch. There’s the Luddite leanings: Jesse relies on an ancient-looking answering machine; Selleck says he’s ‘so computer-literate I sometimes say ‘information superhighway.’”
In addition, Selleck admits that he and Jesse even dress the same with dark collared shirt, corduroy blazer (though the actor’s is from Armani – probably not a place most people on a cop’s salary would shop) and those jeans that Jesse always wears like the real-life Tom Selleck.
“Our (Jesse Stone) shows have pace, but it’s a different pace,” explained Selleck during the USA Today interview that also included the actor talking about his other favorite role as Thomas Magnum.
Selleck is still Magnum
In fact, Thomas William “Tom” Selleck’s role as private investigator Thomas Magnum – in the 1980’s TV series “Magnum, P.I.” – now has an indelible association with “aloha shirts and Detroit Tigers caps,” explained the USA Today report.
“Indeed, he seems tickled to hear that across the way in Brooklyn, hipsters have lovingly appropriated Magnum’s iconic aviators-and-mustache look,” but Selleck told USA Today he doesn’t like to “trade off” on Magnum mania.
In turn, Selleck explains that “I tried to stretch as much as I thought I should. And I don’t think you should do something just to prove you can be different. But I think you should keep trying different parts that scare you.”
Image source of Tom Selleck from 2010. Photo courtesy Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Tom_Selleck
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- 20 Exciting Ways to Use Eggshells For Home and Garden
- Carlos Santana's $65 Supernatural Napa Valley wine
- Operation BBQ dishes up good food to Oklahoma tornado victims
- Cake mix recall, Eco-Cuisine self reports
- Regrowing Foods from Kitchen Scraps Can Save Money Year-Round
- HGTV Memorial Day Cocktails Liven Up Summer Parties
- Four foods a day to keep the doctor away
- Apples to Whole Grain: why and how these 17 foods fight cancer
- Good Eggs Needed for the Chief Egg Officer Search Contest
- Meatless Monday's 10 Hot Tips For Tasty Summer Grilling That'll Get You Fired Up For A Healthy BBQ Season
- Totally loco number of Doritos Locos Tacos sold in just over a year will blow your mind
- Crazy liquored-up ice cream collection captures 'free spirit' of F. Scott Fitzgerald's muse
- An American original: Oscar Mayer introduces the first bacon hot dog: The Bacon Dog
- Food Suggestions to Help Decrease PMS Symptoms
- Eat, drink and argue: dinner table spats on reality TV