For Discovery Channel fans looking for Alaskan gold, Bering Sea Gold: Under the Ice begins mining this Friday.
For fans who have a hot case of gold rush fever, Discovery Channel is introducing a new five-part series, Bering Sea Gold: Under the Ice, premiering this Friday, August 24.
In Nome, Alaska, the winters are brutally cold and everything is frozen. But, there is still a gold rush going on for the daring gold miners who are willing to find it beneath four feet of solid ice on the Bering Sea floor. Cutting through the ice to reach the black sea waters below, the brave men and women—actually, woman—have only an omnipresent fear of death and the physiological and psychological effects of cold water diving under solid ice, including hypothermia, hypoxia, hypercapnia, vertigo, and frostbite, separating them from their fortunes.
Gold-rich rivers flow into the Bering Sea, depositing high concentrations of gold. Erosive forces strip continental rocks of their gold and carry it to the Bering Sea. And, bedrock sources push auriferous debris up to the Bering Sea floor. But, during the winter months, approximately two miles of solid ice covers the gold-rich mining area, preventing miners from doing their work when the weather is at its coldest.
Ice Hole Gold Miners on Discovery Channel
Now, miners—“ice hole gold miners”—will tell their stories of how they risk everything to go underneath the ice and bring back the highly sought-after precious metal the world demands.
"The American Dream is very much alive, though, as you can see on Bering Sea Gold: Under the Ice, people are finding it in the most unlikely and challenging places." said Nancy Daniels, Executive Vice President, Production and Development, Discovery Channel. "Cutting a hole through four feet thick ice and diving to the bottom of the Bering Sea, these modern-day gold miners show their determination and grit, and the depths they will go to earn a living."
Bering Sea Gold: Under the Ice follows three gold mining teams run by driven dredge captains whose very livelihoods depend on mining this wet and frozen gold. Split second thinking, extreme focus, and team work are key to staying alive under the ice. The risks are great, and the payoff even greater.
Bering Sea Gold: Under the Ice, from Thom Beers’ Original Productions, the creators of the Emmy Award-winning Deadliest Catch, premieres on Discovery Channel this Friday, August 24, at 9 PM/ET.
UPDATE: Underdogs on top of gold haul
Catch a clip:
Image: Discovery Channel
Video: Discovery Channel/YouTube
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- Gary Cole, federal prisoner: Taco Bell stole his Doritos Locos Tacos idea
- Reduce your kidney stone risk by 23 percent by doing this
- HGTV Kitchen Cousins Are Coming Back for More
- Celebrity chef allegedly killed over poorly prepared noodles
- KFC smuggling in Gaza with labor problems in US (VIDEO)
- Weekend Recipe: Rainbow chard, cherries and balsamic with grilled trout
- Deer Corn Recall Issued, FDA Indicates Possible Aflatoxin Contamination
- Cooking with Kale: Easy Recipes to Get You Started with This Superfood
- Zoe Saldana Reveals Her Weight as Women of All Sizes Strive for Confidence
- Outdoor grilling lessons - get ready for summer
- Where are Marley 12 oz cold coffee cups sold?
- Hot weather dinner salad - asparagus, tomatoes and tuna
- In Which HGTV Giveaway Home Can You Find This Kitchen?
- Food Allergies: Which Allergens Are Recognized by Law?
- Grapefruit and prescription meds, when are they safe to mix?