Any home cook needs to know Bobby Deen's top five kitchen essentials for making over Southern cuisine, including his mom's famous chicken pot pie--a lightened-up recipe he shared with Dr. Oz.
Bobby Deen has been making a name for himself with Not My Mama’s Meals on the Cooking Channel, and publishing four books with his brother, Jamie: The Deen Bros. Cookbook-Recipes From the Road in 2007; Y’all Come Eat in 2008; Take It Easy in 2009; and Get Fired Up in 2011, as well as his solo new release, From My Mama’s Table to Mine. Today, he visited The Dr. Oz Show and shared his Top 5 Kitchen Essentials, as well as his lightened up version of mom Paula Deen’s classic chicken pot pie.
So, just what does a lightened-up Southern cook need in his/her pantry, according to Bobby Deen?
- Cornmeal: It has lots of fiber, and it can be a substitute for flour in many recipes, Deen indicates.
- Buttermilk: Great as a marinade, and, as Dr. Oz indicated, all buttermilk is low-fat, regardless of the variety. Deen suggested that giving chicken a “buttermilk bath” overnight will help bring flavor to baked “fried” chicken, which he said could be accomplished by dipping the marinated chicken in an egg white wash and rolling it in crushed cornflakes (unsweetened) before baking. Many times, Deen said, you can omit butter from recipes, like mashed potatoes, completely when you use buttermilk.
- Chicken Broth: Not only is it a good base for soups, it makes a great substitute for water in recipes to add a burst of flavor. Try cooking veggies in chicken broth instead of water.
- Neufchatel Cheese: Deen said the cheese is the French version of cream cheese, but is lower in fat since it is made with only milk, not milk and cream, like American cream cheese. It is great used in macaroni and cheese, Deen suggested.
- Canned Tomatoes: They are always and season and always a great ingredient to have on-hand. Go for the low-sodium versions, Deen said. Using canned tomatoes in low-fat meatloaf recipes will add juiciness, Deen said.
1 tbsp. canola oil
1 cup finely chopped onions
1 cup finely chopped carrots
1 1/2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup low-fat Cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cup cooked and coarsely chopped boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 tsp. celery salt
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup canola oil
3 to 5 tbsp. ice-cold water
Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Lightly spray a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray.
To make the filling: In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and carrots and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and milk. Simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the Cheddar until melted, then stir in the chicken, peas, and celery salt. Scrape the filling into the prepared pie plate.
To make the pastry: In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Mix in the oil with a fork. Knead in enough water until the crust just holds together. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a 10-inch circle. Drape the crust over the filling in the pie plate and tuck in the sides. Cut two vents in the top of the crust and bake for about 30 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the filing is bubbling.
How is Paula Doing?
Bobby also updated the crowd on how his mom, Paula, who was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, has been doing. The famous Southern cook has lost about 40 pounds, Deen bragged about his mom proudly, even giving up her beloved sweet tea—a real accomplishment for a life-long lover of Southern cuisine.
For more information about Bobby Deen, visit the Cooking Channel’s Not My Mama’s Meals website.
Image: Wikimedia Commons
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- 20 Exciting Ways to Use Eggshells For Home and Garden
- Carlos Santana's $65 Supernatural Napa Valley wine
- Operation BBQ dishes up good food to Oklahoma tornado victims
- Cake mix recall, Eco-Cuisine self reports
- Regrowing Foods from Kitchen Scraps Can Save Money Year-Round
- HGTV Memorial Day Cocktails Liven Up Summer Parties
- Four foods a day to keep the doctor away
- Apples to Whole Grain: why and how these 17 foods fight cancer
- Good Eggs Needed for the Chief Egg Officer Search Contest
- Meatless Monday's 10 Hot Tips For Tasty Summer Grilling That'll Get You Fired Up For A Healthy BBQ Season
- Totally loco number of Doritos Locos Tacos sold in just over a year will blow your mind
- Crazy liquored-up ice cream collection captures 'free spirit' of F. Scott Fitzgerald's muse
- An American original: Oscar Mayer introduces the first bacon hot dog: The Bacon Dog
- Food Suggestions to Help Decrease PMS Symptoms
- Eat, drink and argue: dinner table spats on reality TV