A hearty chicken stew can be on your table tonight for supper, and it can be every bit as satisfying as beef stew if you try this slow-cooker recipe for your family meal tonight.
It is still chilly—downright cold in some areas of the country—and rain and snow has been coming down seemingly everywhere over the last week. On days like this, you want something warm and hearty for supper, especially when you have had to work out in this kind of weather. So, how about a nice bowl of stew?
Stew is an inexpensive, filling way to feed your hungry family tonight. And, if you don’t have beef in your fridge, or chicken was on sale this week, there is no reason you cannot do a stew with chicken instead of beef. Some people don’t care for “chicken stew,” simply because it tends to be more of a “white stew,” often more of a soup, not the thick, hearty, filling concoction we associate with stew. But, chicken stew does not have to be that way; it can be just like any beef stew, just made with chicken!
This weekend, I gave this recipe a try and it was fantastic. I had mine with crackers—I just like my stew with crackers—but you could eat it with rolls, biscuits, even cornbread, and it would be great. Pair it with a green salad, and supper is on the table! You will need:
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons of olive or coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- ¼ cup red wine
- 1 packet Italian dressing mixed with 1 cup warm water
- 3 carrots
- 2 ribs of celery
- 3 medium red potatoes
- 3 tablespoons dried minced onions
- 1 ½ teaspoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley
Cut chicken breasts into large, bite-sized chunks. Roll in flour. Begin browning in oil, and add Worcestershire sauce to the pan during cooking. Brown well. The flour and Worcestershire sauce will create a dark coating in the pan that may even appear burnt, but don’t fret! You will probably have to cook your chicken in several groups; add additional oil and Worcestershire sauce as needed.
While browning chicken, chop vegetables into large chunks, and add to the slow cooker with carrots on the bottom, then red potatoes, dried minced onions, parsley, and black pepper. As chicken is browned, add chicken chunks, and your celery on top of the chicken. When all of the chicken is browned and in the slow cooker, add butter to the pan, then the garlic and onions. When the onions begin to soften, add the beef broth and deglaze the pan; all of that great flavor you created with the chicken, flour and Worcestershire sauce will come right up into your liquid. When the pan is deglazed, stir in your wine, then your Italian dressing and water. Pour all of this from your pan into your slow cooker and put the lid on the cooker. If you are doing an all-day cook, set your cooker on low; if you are planning to eat in 4-5 hours, set your cooker on high (this was my cooking strategy of the day, by the way, and it was perfect in four hours).
Huliq Reader Question: What do you like to fix on a cold, rainy day, Huliq readers? Leave your vote in the comment section below.
Image: Wikimedia Commons
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- 20 Exciting Ways to Use Eggshells For Home and Garden
- Carlos Santana's $65 Supernatural Napa Valley wine
- Operation BBQ dishes up good food to Oklahoma tornado victims
- Cake mix recall, Eco-Cuisine self reports
- Regrowing Foods from Kitchen Scraps Can Save Money Year-Round
- HGTV Memorial Day Cocktails Liven Up Summer Parties
- Four foods a day to keep the doctor away
- Apples to Whole Grain: why and how these 17 foods fight cancer
- Good Eggs Needed for the Chief Egg Officer Search Contest
- Meatless Monday's 10 Hot Tips For Tasty Summer Grilling That'll Get You Fired Up For A Healthy BBQ Season
- Totally loco number of Doritos Locos Tacos sold in just over a year will blow your mind
- Crazy liquored-up ice cream collection captures 'free spirit' of F. Scott Fitzgerald's muse
- An American original: Oscar Mayer introduces the first bacon hot dog: The Bacon Dog
- Food Suggestions to Help Decrease PMS Symptoms
- Eat, drink and argue: dinner table spats on reality TV