NASCAR driver Danica Patrick is driving better than expected at Darlington, and Greg Biffle sits on the pole for tonight's Sprint Cup race.
Fans and non-fans alike of Danica Patrick have eagerly been awaiting the rookie NASCAR driver’s debut at Darlington, notorious for putting drivers into the wall—a problem Patrick has not needed help with so far this season. But, overall, Patrick has managed to maneuver the quirky Darlington track quite well thus far—at least, coming away from practices and Nationwide with her cars in one piece.
Patrick hit the wall initially in her first Nationwide Series practice run, clipping it with the right-rear. In the first Sprint Cup practice, she also hit the wall as she entered Turn 3, and hit it again in basically the same spot during a later run through the course. Finally, in her last practice run, she hit the wall between Turns 3 and 4, finally achieving the notorious “Darlington Stripe.”
"I got my stripe!" Patrick said excitedly over the radio.
Contact with the wall at Darlington is considered inevitable, with the lane being the fastest way around the track, only a few feet from either the concrete wall or the SAFER barrier at any given time. New drivers, like Patrick, often find the course disconcerting.
"As a driver, my comfort level with the wall is definitely medium," she said on NASCAR.com. "I don't think even in IndyCars I liked being up against the wall. ... Coming into these stock cars, I'm definitely a lot more comfortable getting up higher and higher, but here at Darlington, you're riding the wall. You're not kind of using it as a reference, you're riding the wall. It's a whole new level of getting comfortable with it. You're definitely as a driver threading the needle out here, and every driver that's out here deserves definite credit for running well. If they have a good weekend, they're darn good drivers. Because this is definitely tough."
But, comfortable or not, Patrick did not run away from the wall. Between practice, qualifying, and the Nationwide race, where she finshed 12th, she got a lot of experience at Darlington in a short period of time, which she will no doubt need against the best-of-the-best in Sprint Cup tonight.
Eury pleased with Danica’s performance
"Very, very positive," her crew chief, Tony Eury Jr., said about the Nationwide race. "I'm very happy. We were kind of expecting the worst here, but she surprised us all and stepped up to the plate and did a good job."
Tonight, Patrick will race with the big boys in Sprint. Wherever she finishes, she is likely to take home a lot of new knowledge about the wall at Darlington.
The NASCAR Sprint Cup qualifying at Darlington was as follows:
- Greg Biffle
- Jimmie Johnson
- Kasey Kahne
- Ryan Newman
- Kyle Busch
- Martin Truex Jr.
- Carl Edwards
- Denny Hamlin
- Regan Smith
- Jeff Burton
- Jamie McMurray
- Jeff Gordon
- Aric Almirola
- Paul Menard
- Brad Keselowski
- AJ Allmendinger
- Tony Stewart
- Mark Martin
- Matt Kenseth
- Landon Cassill
- Joey Logano
- Bobby Labonte
- Kevin Harvick
- Dale Earnhardt Jr.
- Kurt Busch
- Clint Bowyer
- Juan Pablo Montoya
- Marcos Ambrose
- Scott Speed
- Josh Wise
- Casey Mears
- David Stremme
- Travis Kvapil
- Dave Blaney
- Mike Skinner
- David Gilliland
- David Ragan
- Danica Patrick
- Cole Whitt
- Joe Nemechek
- David Reutimann
- Reed Sorenson
- J.J. Yeley
The Bojangles' Southern 500 at Darlington Raceway is scheduled to start tonight, Saturday, May 12, at 6:30 p.m. ET. It will be broadcast by FOX.
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- Set an empty place setting this Memorial Day to honor fallen veterans
- Looking for work this summer? US restaurant industry will add 448,000 summer jobs
- Eating Low-Carb on Memorial Day Can Be Surprisingly Simple
- 4 Grilled shrimp marinade ideas for Memorial Day
- HGTV Memorial Day Weekend Party Menu Ideas are Classic Favorites
- 4 Chicken marinade ideas for Memorial Day grilling
- Edible body scrubs made from foods and sugar in your kitchen
- Kill guests with kindness, not unhealthy drinks this Memorial Day
- MasterChef 4 premieres: Greenback flambé, a wedding proposal, and redemption
- Spare ribs marinade ideas for Memorial Day grilling
- Feed Your Late-Night Cravings on 'Last Call Food Brawl'
- Can a Low-Carb Flaxseed Meal Muffin Really Taste Good? YES!
- Edible life on Mars? NASA explores 3-D pizza printers
- 20 Exciting Ways to Use Eggshells For Home and Garden
- Carlos Santana's $65 Supernatural Napa Valley wine