Diamond Pet Foods is expanding a voluntary recall to include Diamond Puppy Formula dry dog food, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has announced. The company took this precautionary measure because sampling revealed Salmonella in the product. No dog illnesses have been reported at this time.
UPDATE FROM CDC: Diamond Pet Food Salmonella contamination connected to human infections
Salmonella can affect animals eating the products and there is risk to humans from handling contaminated pet products, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the products or any surfaces exposed to these products.
People infected with Salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. Rarely, Salmonella can result in more serious ailments, including arterial infections, endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation, and urinary tract symptoms. Consumers exhibiting these signs after having contact with this product should contact their healthcare providers.
Pets with Salmonella infections may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting. Some pets will have only decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian.
Only the Diamond Puppy Formula products meeting the following types/weights/product codes/sell-by-dates are included in this recall:
- Diamond Puppy Formula dry dog food/40 lb./DPP0401B22XJW/6-Apr-2013
- Diamond Puppy Formula dry dog food/40 lb./DPP0401A21XAW/6-Apr-2013
- Diamond Puppy Formula dry dog food/40 lb./DPP0101C31XME/11-Jan-2013
- Diamond Puppy Formula dry dog food/40 lb./DPP0401B21XDJ/7-Apr-2013
- Diamond Puppy Formula dry dog food/20 lb./DPP0401B22XJW/6-Apr-2013
- Diamond Puppy Formula dry dog food/20 lb./DPP0101C31XME/11-Jan-2013
- Diamond Puppy Formula dry dog food/20 lb./DPP0101C31XRB/11-Jan-2013
- Diamond Puppy Formula dry dog food/8 lb./DPP0401B2XALW/7-Apr-2013
- Diamond Puppy Formula dry dog food/6 oz. samples/DPP0401
The recalled Diamond Puppy Formula dry dog food was manufactured by Diamond Pet Foods in Gaston, S.C., and distributed in the following 12 states:
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
The product may have been further distributed to additional states through pet food channels. The company is working directly with distributors and retailers that carry these products to remove them as quickly as possible from the supply chain.
Pet owners, who are unsure if the product they purchased is included in the recall, or who would like replacement product or a refund, may contact Diamond Pet Foods at 800-442-0402, 8 am – 6 pm EST, Monday through Friday, or visit www.diamondpetrecall.com.
This recall follows two earlier recalls of Diamond Pet Food products.
Image: Wikimedia Commons