The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has announced that Jonathan’s Sprouts of Rochester, MA, is upgrading its recall of conventional alfalfa sprout products with a specific sell-by date to include all of its alfalfa products, conventional and organic, with all sell-by dates. The recall is being expanded as a precaution, because the involved products have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella.
Salmonella is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis.
Six retail products are indicated in the expanded recall, and include all sell-by dates:
- Jonathan's 4oz Alfalfa Sprouts
- Jonathan's 4oz Organic Alfalfa Sprouts
- Jonathan's 4oz Alfalfa with Radish Sprouts
- Jonathan's 4oz Organic Alfalfa with Radish Sprouts
- Jonathan's 4oz Gourmet Sprouts
- Jonathan's 4oz Alfalfa with Dill Sprouts
- Jonathan's 8oz Alfalfa Sprouts
- Jonathan's Organic Sprout Salad
These products are sold in plastic containers, approximately a 4” cube.
The Jonathan’s Sprouts retail products involved in the recall are sold at the following stores:
- Grand Union
- Stop & Shop
- Roche Brothers
The following recalled items are distributed in bulk to food service establishments, and include all codes:
- Jonathan’s 5lb Bulk Alfalfa in waxed 18”x11” cardboard cartons
- Jonathan’s 5lb Bulk Organic Alfalfa Sprouts in waxed 18” x 11” cardboard cartons
- Jonathan’s 4lb Bulk Alfalfa Sprouts in bags 2lb bags in a 13”x9”x6” cardboard carton
The products containing alfalfa sprouts were distributed in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Delaware.
Consumers who have purchased Jonathans Sprouts products containing alfalfa sprouts are urged to return it to the place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with questions may contact the company at 508-763-2577.
For additional information on the Jonathan's Sprouts recall, read more on Huliq.com:
FDA: Jonathan's Sprouts recalls alfalfa sprouts for possible Salmonella contamination