It’s Labor Day Weekend, which means burgers and hot dogs on the grill, right?
This weekend, why not try spicing up your holiday cookout routine with these great healthier options from House Foods Tofu? Debi Mazar and Gabriele Corcos, stars of Cooking Channel’s show Extra Virgin, have partnered with House Foods to create two mouth-watering dishes that use tofu with a Tuscan twist. Their “Tofu Agrodolce” is simple yet sophisticated and their “Tofu Speidini” is marinated then grilled with thyme and orange zest - both complement the amazing texture of grilled tofu.
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 (14 oz) package House Foods firm tofu, sliced into even 8 slices
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 sprig rosemary, chopped
- Whisk together the olive oil, rosemary, garlic, and salt and pepper. Add tofu to a large zip top bag and pour the marinade over them. Place in fridge, press between two plates, and marinade for at least 2 hours.
- Heat grill to medium high heat.
- Meanwhile, add the olive to a saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add the shallots and sauté until tender. Add the vinegar, honey, and chopped cherry tomatoes. Let simmer for 10 minutes until it reduces and thickens. You want the sauce to coat the back of a spoon. Stir in chopped rosemary.
- Remove the tofu from the marinade letting excess marinade drip off. Season again lightly with salt and pepper. Grill tofu on both sides for 3-4 minutes each. Brush the sauce on the tofu the last minute of grilling. Serve tofu with extra sauce.
- 1 package (14 ounce) House Foods Tofu Firm
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- 2 green onions, roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped rosemary
- 2 teaspoons roughly chopped thyme
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Combine olive oil, orange juice and zest, green onions, red pepper flakes, rosemary, thyme, garlic, and salt and pepper in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Cut tofu 1 ½ inch cubes. Add tofu to a casserole dish in a single layer. Pour the marinade over the top. Marinade at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Heat grill to medium.
- Thread the tofu onto 4 wood or metal skewers and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill tofu for 6-8 minutes, turning occasionally. Brush with remaining marinade while grilling.
Image: House Foods Tofu