Healthy food is great for eating, but it can also be great for cosmetics and other beauty products you can make at home, the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics indicates.
Everyone is looking for healthier food these days. But, have you ever considered that your healthy food could also become a healthier beauty product, as well?
The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics was launched in 2004. The group is focused on protecting both consumers and workers though the elimination of dangerous chemicals from cosmetics and personal care products via corporate, regulatory and legislative reforms. Their website has a wealth of information available for the reading, including recipes for making your own food-based cosmetics.
“There are no preservatives in these recipes so take a few precautions to avoid contamination by bacteria,” the CSC website states. “Avoid touching products like lip gloss with your fingers – instead use a cotton swab to apply. Use products within two weeks, and consider storing them in your refrigerator. Also, exercise caution if you think you might be allergic to ingredients like nuts, avocados or other common food ingredients.”
Why make your own cosmetics when they are so readily available commercially? Well, the CSC points out, your newly made cosmetics will smell and feel great on your skin, and will give your mood a boost, as well. And, of course, since you will be controlling the ingredients, you can leave out anything you may be allergic to or just do not care to use for whatever reasons you may have. But, as they pointed out, since they have no preservatives, they will not last and last and last like your commercially created products—an obvious downside in this busy world.
The CSC has gathered together some of its favorite food-based cosmetics, and it seems you can find a natural alternative for just about any body part you would like to pamper—lips, face, hair, feet. You can even make your own deodorant if you like! You’ll want to go to the CSC website to get a full listing of their favorite recipes, but here are a couple I like: Frozen Egg & Honey Facial Mask from Spa Index and Coffee Body Scrub from SpaFlyer.
Frozen Egg & Honey Facial Mask
The CSC says that this mask is recommended for dry skin. And, with warm and sunny weather on the way, this is a good recipe to keep in mind if you overdo in the sunshine.
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted (but not hot)
- 1 tablespoon honey
Beat the egg in a small bowl until frothy and well-mixed. Slowly add the liquid coconut oil and honey, beating until your mask is the consistency of mayonnaise.
Take an empty toilet tissue roll and set it on end in a clean bowl. Spoon mixture into the cardboard toilet paper roll. Place tube, in the bowl, in the freezer overnight.
To use, peel away just the top 1/4 inch of the cardboard roll and smooth the frozen stick over your face (think of it as a push-up pop). Leave your mask on for 5 to 10 minutes, then rinse off with warm water.
Return the cream stick covered with plastic wrap to the freezer and keep frozen between uses. Keeps indefinitely.
Coffee Body Scrub
Hey, anything to get in some coffee, right? And, it smells SO good without leaving YOU smelling like a cup of brew.
- 2 cups coarsely ground coffee
- 1/2 cup raw sugar or sea salt
- 2-3 tablespoons massage oil
Mix all ingredients together. Take a hot shower to moisten your skin and open your pores. Using wide, circular motions, rub the coffee exfoliant onto your skin with strong, even pressure. Shower off, pat skin dry and apply a thin layer of your favorite body lotion.
For more great recipes to make your own food-based cosmetics, visit the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics website.
Image: Wikimedia Commons
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- HGTV Memorial Day Cocktails Liven Up Summer Parties
- Four foods a day to keep the doctor away
- Apples to Whole Grain: why and how these 17 foods fight cancer
- Good Eggs Needed for the Chief Egg Officer Search Contest
- Meatless Monday's 10 Hot Tips For Tasty Summer Grilling That'll Get You Fired Up For A Healthy BBQ Season
- Totally loco number of Doritos Locos Tacos sold in just over a year will blow your mind
- Crazy liquored-up ice cream collection captures 'free spirit' of F. Scott Fitzgerald's muse
- An American original: Oscar Mayer introduces the first bacon hot dog: The Bacon Dog
- Food Suggestions to Help Decrease PMS Symptoms
- Eat, drink and argue: dinner table spats on reality TV
- San Francisco residents cut out popular restaurant's bacon fat, literally
- Two New York Times Food Writers take a grocery shopping tour (video)
- Gary Cole, federal prisoner: Taco Bell stole his Doritos Locos Tacos idea
- Reduce your kidney stone risk by 23 percent by doing this
- HGTV Kitchen Cousins Are Coming Back for More