Bacon may be teetering on the edge of availability, according to some reports, but there will be no shortage of the country's favorite pork product on Destination America's United States of Bacon.
The United States of America appears to be in a full-fledged bacon frenzy, with predicted shortages of pork being made across the nation. But, among all of the doom-and-gloom reports, Destination America has announced a bright spot for bacon lovers everywhere: the upcoming series, United States of Bacon.
What was originally a three-part special series, encompassing a closer look into steaks, burgers and, yes, bacon, during the summer of 2012 has, based on viewer demand and interest, now become a standalone series, United States of Bacon. Not even the purported “aporkalypse” can slow it down, now, Destination America indicated in a release:
The breakout bacon special [included in the United States of Food special] earned phenomenal ratings for the network. Now, the special-turned-12-episode-series continues across the country as its host, Chef Todd Fisher, searches for the most mouth-watering bacon creations that American kitchens have to offer. Currently in production for a December 2012 premiere, UNITED STATES OF BACON promises to serve viewers the sizzling strips they crave despite an unavoidable “world shortage of pork and bacon next year” (source).
Marc Etkind, SVP of Content Strategy for Destination America, confirmed fans’ interest in a complete series focused around bacon:
Bacon is undeniably, irrefutably one of the most popular foods in America. What was once a measly breakfast side dish is now the garnish du jour, as the artistic centerpiece of traditional recipes and in avant-garde pairings with ice cream, jam, and cocktails. It’s no wonder bacon is in high demand, but it certainly won’t be in short supply on UNITED STATES OF BACON. If only television screens were scratch and sniff!
The show will be hosted by celebrity chef Todd Fisher, who is, not surprisingly, a bacon lover himself:
As a chef, bacon is among the foods closest to my heart. But with a bacon shortage looming, my quest to taste the best dishes in America takes on national importance. UNITED STATES OF BACON is the only show on television dedicated to bacon and all of its inspired recipes, and we’re happy to be documenting them for posterity.
In the previous special, United States of Bacon visited venues with the most popular and innovative bacon dishes in the nation. Making Chef Todd’s “bacon bucket list” were trail-blazing small businesses like the Bacon Bacon Truck in San Francisco and their traffic-stopping grilled cheese, which oozes bacon jam in addition to containing a few strips of the real stuff. Chef Todd also got a taste of bacon-wrapped hot dogs at NYC’s Crif Dogs; nibbled a bacon and chocolate ice cream sandwich at Big Gay Ice Cream; and bit into a burger at LA’s Slaters 50/50, where every patty has an even ratio of beef to bacon.
United States of Bacon, the series, is slated for a December 2012 premiere on Destination America.
Image: Destination America
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- KFC smuggling in Gaza with labor problems in US (VIDEO)
- Weekend Recipe: Rainbow chard, cherries and balsamic with grilled trout
- Deer Corn Recall Issued, FDA Indicates Possible Aflatoxin Contamination
- Cooking with Kale: Easy Recipes to Get You Started with This Superfood
- Zoe Saldana Reveals Her Weight as Women of All Sizes Strive for Confidence
- Outdoor grilling lessons - get ready for summer
- Where are Marley 12 oz cold coffee cups sold?
- Hot weather dinner salad - asparagus, tomatoes and tuna
- In Which HGTV Giveaway Home Can You Find This Kitchen?
- Food Allergies: Which Allergens Are Recognized by Law?
- Grapefruit and prescription meds, when are they safe to mix?
- Fish oil may prevent junk-food brain damage
- Fans request Peanut Butter Pop-Tarts, and get it
- 5 reasons to love wine spritzers
- The Sharks Come Out on The Chew and the Crew Gags