A meatless meal can be a moral choice, a religious decision or just a change of pace, but it can always be a delicious decision, like this recipe for Vegetarian Black Bean Tacos.
Everyone should give a meatless meal a try now and then, if only for the change of pace, but how do you go meatless when you’ve never given it a second thought? Well, first of all, don’t panic; meatless meals can be delicious! Just go for something you would normally eat and give it a meatless twist; don’t try going from rare roast beef to a block of tofu overnight! And, if you are a meatless meal beginner, use familiar ingredients; build up to the tofu crumbles after a few dinner successes.
Tacos are a great favorite in most families, and they are easy to make meatless. Just leave the ground beef in the cooler and grab a can of black beans instead, and you will be well on your way to successful meatless tacos. These tacos are quick and easy, as well. You will need:
- 1 can of black beans (or, if you rather, pinto beans), well-rinsed to remove as much sodium as possible
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- 1 cup of salsa (green or red, whichever is your favorite)
- Corn tortillas or taco shells
- Taco toppings (lettuce, onion, cheese, jalapenos, taco sauce, sour cream etc.; whatever you and your family like)
Empty your rinsed beans into a saucepan. Add vegetable broth and taco seasoning. Cook your beans until they begin to soften, then add salsa. Stir well and again heat through; simmer until most of the liquid has been removed, being careful to stir often and not to burn!
Heat corn tortillas or taco shells. Add black bean mixture to your tacos just as you would tacos made with ground meat, and dress with your chosen taco toppings. Serve with your favorite sides, such as corn, rice, chips and salsa, cheese quesadillas, etc. Again, whatever you like with your regular taco meal, have it with your meatless tacos—well, assuming that your favorite sides are meatless as well!
Enjoy a Meatless Friday for dinner tonight!
Huliq Reader Question: What is your favorite meal when you feel like going meatless for supper?
Image: Wikimedia Commons
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- Gary Cole, federal prisoner: Taco Bell stole his Doritos Locos Tacos idea
- Reduce your kidney stone risk by 23 percent by doing this
- HGTV Kitchen Cousins Are Coming Back for More
- Celebrity chef allegedly killed over poorly prepared noodles
- KFC smuggling in Gaza with labor problems in US (VIDEO)
- Weekend Recipe: Rainbow chard, cherries and balsamic with grilled trout
- Deer Corn Recall Issued, FDA Indicates Possible Aflatoxin Contamination
- Cooking with Kale: Easy Recipes to Get You Started with This Superfood
- Zoe Saldana Reveals Her Weight as Women of All Sizes Strive for Confidence
- Outdoor grilling lessons - get ready for summer
- Where are Marley 12 oz cold coffee cups sold?
- Hot weather dinner salad - asparagus, tomatoes and tuna
- In Which HGTV Giveaway Home Can You Find This Kitchen?
- Food Allergies: Which Allergens Are Recognized by Law?
- Grapefruit and prescription meds, when are they safe to mix?