Now that Cinco de Mayo is almost here, people are stocking up on limes for their margaritas. Chipotle even added a Patron Margarita to its menu for the occasion. But there are many other ways to use the precious juice from limes. From beauty treatments to cleaning solutions, lime juice comes in handy for a variety of every day tasks.
Lime Juice for Health and Beauty
Lime juice brings to mind margaritas like the Patron Margarita now featured on the Chipotle menu for Cinco de Mayo. HGTV also posted some irresistible cocktails to make for Cinco de Mayo celebrations at home. When the holiday is over, keep those limes around for a variety of health and beauty treatments (remember, these are not medical suggestions and do not take the place of advice from a doctor) such as:
1. Make your hair fresh and shiny by using lime juice as a shampoo. You can also combat dandruff by rubbing lime juice on your scalp for 15 minutes. Rinse it out and you'll have clean hair with no icky flakes.
2. Do you want to lighten your hair naturally? Put some lime juice on your hair before you bask in the sun to get lovely highlights without using hair color.
3. Is the warm weather causing blemishes and pimple to erupt on your skin? Use lime juice on your face as an astringent to help get rid of them. It is also an excellent way to shrink your pores for smoother skin. However, don't use lime juice more than once or twice a week as it can dry out your skin.
4. Has the heat made your skin look greasy and dull? Perk up your appearance by mixing a teaspoon of lime juice with a teaspoon of cucumber juice and a dash of rose water. Put the mixture on your face for 15 minutes then rinse it off for a brighter complexion.
5. Did excessive sun make your skin rough and dry to the touch? Mix a tablespoon of lime juice with 1 egg yolk and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Put it on your face until it dries than rinse with warm water and follow up with a cold water rinse. Your face will be softer and smoother. HULIQ also posted about 20 other unusual ways to use olive oil for beauty and beyond.
6. Nobody likes to have a cold in the spring or summer. Somehow it seems even more bothersome than having one in the winter, especially since you want to go out in the sun and have fun. Soothe a sore throat with a mixture of lime juice and honey. HULIQ posted some other great ways to use honey at home.
7. Did you get attacked by a hungry mosquito at a family barbecue? Take a lime and rub it on the bite to get rid of itching and irritation.
8. Are you suffering from a headache after partying too much on Cinco de Mayo? Use those leftover limes to give yourself some relief. Cut limes into pieces and place them on your forehead to feel better.
9. Here's another hangover helper in time for imbibing on Cinco de Mayo. If you wake up the next day feeling sluggish, add a teaspoon of lime juice and a dash to sugar to a five-ounce glass of water for a quick pick-me-up.
10. If you plan to be out in the sun all day, make a refreshing pitcher of limeade. It can help prevent health stroke caused by excessive exposure to the sun.
11. Do you want to combat bad breath or clear up minor indigestion? Nibble on a slice of lime to get some relief. Lime juice can also help you get rid of diarrhea and flatulence. Who knew it could eliminate such an array of embarrassing conditions?
12. Are you feeling a bit under the weather? You might need some Vitamin C from lime juice. Squeeze juice from a lime into a cup of green tea to improve your digestion and boost the antioxidant properties in the tea. This may also reduce your risk of developing other diseases including cancer.
Lime Juice for Cleaning
Limes have a high acid level and can combat bacteria. For this reason, lime juice is useful for cleaning purposes such as:
13. Are your fixtures or other items at home getting rusty? Cover the rusty area with salt then squeeze lime juice over it. Let it set for about 3 hours then scrub with lime rind to get rid of the rust. HULIQ published 20 other ways you can use salt around the house.
14. Is your garbage disposal stinky from so much use? Simply put a used half life in it to get rid of yucky odors.
15. Lime juice has an invigorating scent with aromatherapy properties to boost your mood. Use a lime juice mixture to clean your house and make it smell great. Mix 1 tablespoon of Borax, 6 drops lime essential oil and 2 tablespoons of vinegar into 2 cups of hot water. The solution can be cooled and put in a spray bottle to clean surfaces in your home. HULIQ also shared other cool ways to use vinegar around the house.
16. Is your brass starting to get a tarnished look over time? Rub it down with some lime juice to make it shine again.
17. Does your tea kettle get plenty of use throughout the day and evening? If it is getting calcium deposits, remove them by soaking the kettle with diluted lime juice for a few hours.
18. Is your microwave oven icky inside? Get rid of those icky splats by using lime juice. Mix three tablespoons of lime juice in a bowl of water. Place the mixture in the microwave and heat it until boiling. Take the bowl out and wipe away the gunk in your microwave.
19. Lime juice mixed with baking soda is an excellent air freshener and deodorizer. Mix ½ teaspoon of baking soda with a ½ cup of lime juice in a bowl. Put these mix anywhere in the house where you want to get rid of nasty odors, including your refrigerator. HULIQ offered 20 other useful suggestions for using baking soda around the house.
20. Has your chopping block been getting a lot of use now that you eat more fresh vegetables in the spring? Pour a tablespoon of lime juice on the surface of your cutting board and let it stand for 15 minutes. Then wipe it away with a wet cloth to clean and disinfect your cutting board.
It seems you'll want to keep limes and lime juice around long after Cinco de Mayo. Can you think of other ways to use limes and lime juice? Share them with us in the comments section below!
Image Source: Wikimedia Commons Public Domain