Today the New England Journal of Medicine published an article about the recognized benefits of the Mediterranean diet which uses virgin olive oils in many recipes. The best olive oils can also be used used for everything from beauty treatments to keeping your home clean. Recently we explored 20 amazing uses for common kitchen items such as baking soda and table salt as well as lemons. Consider these 20 innovative uses for pure olive oil.
Olive Oil for Beauty
According to an article published by the New England Journal of Medicine today, a project started in the 1950's when the United States realized an increasing number of people were suffering from heart attacks. The project revealed the benefits of the Mediterranean diet, which is rich in extra virgin olive oils, have been recognized for decades. For centuries, people have also used pure olive oil for beauty treatments such as:
1. Are the ends of your hair dry and weather beaten? Olive oil is an excellent deep conditioning treatment for your hair. Simply soak your hair in pure olive oil and wrap in a towel for about 15 minutes to make it soft. Olive oil is also a terrific natural treatment to get rid of head lice. Saturate your head in olive oil and keep a shower cap on for about an hour. It will smother the lice and they comb out easily after you rinse your hair with warm water.
2. Do your elbows, knees and the bottoms of your feet show signs of wear and tear? These areas of your body tend to dry out more quickly than others. Slather olive oil on your elbows and knees before you go to bed to make them soft. Coat your feet in olive oil then put on socks before going to bed. When you wake up, they will be smoother and ready for you to file away calluses.
3. Is your mascara stubborn and difficult to remove? Coat a cotton ball with olive oil and use it to gently remove your eye makeup. Use soft, upward strokes so you don't pull on the skin around your eyes.
4. Does the spring and summer mean your hair starts to get frizz? Combat the frizz by putting a couple of drops of pure olive oil on the palms of your hair them rub them together. Smooth the olive oil through your dry hair then brush it to get rid of the frizzies. If you get static in your hair, the same treatment works to eliminate it.
5. Are you ready to slough away dry skin from the winter now that spring is here? Smooth pure olive oil on your face, hands and lips then scrub with sugar crystals. Wash away the residue with gentle soap and warm water to reveal fresh, new skin without that dry, tight feeling you usually get from exfoliating.
6. Did your hands and cuticles take a beating over the winter? Soak your fingertips in a mixture of warm water and olive oil for ten minutes to make pushing back or clipping your cuticles a breeze.
7. Do you have serious stubble on your legs? The warmer weather means people will be looking at your legs and they need to be smooth. Slick on olive oil before shaving to soften the hair and get a close shave. It also leaves a moist shine on your legs that makes them glow.
8. After you have some fun in the sun, you might be plagued with patches of dry skin. Before you get into the bath, make a paste from olive oil and table salt. Put in on a soft cloth to slough away the dry skin before you bathe. Add a few drops of olive oil to your warm bath water to moisturize your skin after exfoliating it.
9. Spring and summer is the time of year when everyone is swimming in the pool, lakes and bays. Often earaches seem to be inevitable. Warm some pure olive oil and use a syringe or eyedropper to put it in your achy ear. Use 3 drops on children and 7 drops on adults.
10. Do you love the comfort of wearing leather shoes but dislike the telltale signs of wear and tear? Use extra virgin olive oils to polish your shoes. Put a few drops of olive oil on a soft cloth and polish your shoes to a fabulous shine. It also helps to protect them against dirt and grime. It also works well on leather items such as baseball gloves.
11. Pure olive oil is also gentle enough to use in your private areas. If your love life is drying up, olive oil can be used as a personal lubricant. It is can also be used to soothe a baby's bottom when a little one has an irritating diaper rash.
Olive Oil for Cleaning and Household Uses
While pure olive oil is a notorious beauty aid, it can also help you around the house. Consider these incredible ways to make cleaning a breeze with olive oil:
12. Is your wooden furniture looking tired and old? Put some olive oil on a soft rag and wipe down your furniture to get rid of dust and make it shine. A mixture of half olive oil and lemon works even better and leave a fresh smell in the room.
13. Now that the warmer weather is here, many people decide to paint the inside or outside of their homes. If you get paint on your skin, don't scrub until it is raw. Instead rub on some pure olive oil and let it soak for about 10 minutes. Wash the area well with soap and warm water. You may need a cloth to rub away stubborn paint but it will leave your skin softer than using damaging chemicals.
14. As people go outdoors to garden and come in with dirty feet, your floors take a beating. Mix olive oil with a dash of vinegar to polish your wood floors. Rub it into the floors well to see a major difference.
15. With gardening in mind, nobody like to clean caked on dirt off of their gardening tools. Spray them with a bit of olive oil and the dirt will slide off easily.
16. Does your brass or stainless steel look tarnished and nasty just weeks after you spend time cleaning it? You might have forgotten the final important step after cleaning. Buff brass or stainless steel with olive oil to prevent it from tarnishing so quickly.
17. Do you feel like you are doomed to have a dirty sink with water stains? The next time you wipe down your sink, put a couple of drops of olive oil on a cloth then rub it inside the sink. It will shine and help to prevent those icky water stains.
18. A stuck zipper can be one of the most frustrating experiences. You try to pull it down until your fingers are raw or it winds up breaking further. Simply use a cotton swab to apply oil oil to all the teeth on the zipper. This makes easier to slide the zipper tab down.
19. Is a squeaky door on your car or home driving you crazy? Use a rag to apply a bit of olive oil to the top of the hinge. Voila! The squeak will be gone and you can go into rooms or your car without alerting everyone within earshot.
20. Do you dread measuring sticky items such as syrup or honey? Make cleanup a breeze by rubbing olive oil on your measuring cups and spoons before you measure these sticky substances.
Who knew olive oil could be so versatile for everything from hair conditioning to cleaning garden tools? Do you have any more uses for olive oil. Share them in the comments section below!