The golden hue of honey brings to mind sweet treats without sugar such as baklava. But honey can be used for a variety of purposes beyond food. This past winter has been harsh for honeybees, causing losses for beekeepers that might make honey true liquid gold. Check out these 20 sweet ways to use honey for health and beauty.
Honey for Beauty
You can combine honey with other natural elements to make your skin and hair more beautiful. Honey is a humectant that adds moisture to your skin. It is also soothing with a fabulous scent. This liquid gold might be even more valuable as beekeepers in the northeast region of the United States see significant losses after a long, cold winter. Consider these ways to add honey to your health and beauty routine:
1. Are you looking for a sweet way to soften your skin in the bath? Add a quarter cup of honey and just relax. Your skin will feel silky smooth when you get out. You can also add a tablespoon of honey to your foot bath to soften them before you file away callouses.
2. Now that the warmer weather is here, often we see pimples pop out on our skin. Put away harsh chemicals and alcohol that strips your skin. Put a bit of honey mixed with cinnamon on your blemishes and blackheads overnight. It helps to minimize swelling and zap zits. Honey mixed with cinnamon in warm water is also a great way to freshen your breath.
3. A honey facial scrub is a great way to slough off dead skin after the winter or after being in the sun. Mix ground almonds into honey with a dash of lemon juice to exfoliate your skin. It also smells wonderful. Recently HULIQ published 20 ways to use lemons for everything from beauty to cleaning your home.
4. Do you want your skin to look firmer? Mix an egg white with a tablespoon of honey then apply it to your face. Leave it on for 15 minutes then rinse it off with warm water for a fresh and glowing look. Honey has antioxidants that also deep cleanse your pores.
5. Is your hair dull and lifeless after the long winter or due to excessive sun exposure? Make it shine by mixing a tablespoon of honey with a quart of warm water then put it on your hair after shampooing. Let it stay on your hair for a half hour then rinse with warm water for a fabulous shine.
6. Do your hair and skin feel dry? It's time to infuse them with moisture by using a mixture of a tablespoon of honey and a teaspoon of olive oil. You can put it in your skin or hair then leave it for 15 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water. HULIQ recently published 20 more ways to use olive oil for all kinds of purposes.
7. Are your lips feeling dry and parched? Infuse them with moisture by making your own tasty and fragrant honey lip balm. All you need is beeswax, honey and some almond oil.
8. Are you afraid to bare your elbows now that short sleeve weather is here? Get rid of those dry elbows by applying honey to them after your shower. Let it sink in for about one half hour then rinse it off for smoother elbows.
Honey to Feel Better
While these tips are certainly no substitute for the advice of a trained physician, they might offer a bit of relief from certain health conditions. Consider these potential ways honey may help you feel better:
9. Is happy hour your favorite time of the week until the morning after? You might want to think twice about reaching for that cup of coffee with extra sugar. While coffee also has 20 unusual uses, a hangover cure might not be one of them. Honey contains fructose which can help to metabolize the alcohol from those margaritas last night. Add it to a cup of tea to feel better in a few minutes. It will also boost your energy better than an energy bar.
10. Spring is here and yard work is sure to lead to a few cuts and scrapes. Instead of reaching for chemical ointments or elements that may dry out your skin, apply honey to your minor cuts and scrapes. It has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties to help clean and heal minor wounds. Even better, honey helps prevent bandages from sticking to your cuts.
11. Are you suffering from a scratchy throat and cough? Honey is a great way to feel better and soothe that painful throat. Mix two tablespoons of honey with juice from a lemon and a finely chopped onion to feel better without taking OTC medications.
12. Nobody wants to think they have parasite but it can happen, especially if you travel. There is a natural way to kill them. Combine water, vinegar and honey then drink it to combat those nasty parasites.
13. A yeast infection can become a nasty and painful situation. While this is not a cure, it can help relieve the burning inside caused by a yeast infection. Soak a tampon in honey, freeze it and then insert it to get some relief.
14. Is your stomach feeling upset? A spoonful of honey is a great way to relieve indigestion and feel better.
15. Are you looking to shed a few pounds now that the warmer weather is here? Try a mixture of honey and lemon to help out rather than trying a variety of OTC weight loss products. Honey can help lower cholesterol and improve your blood sugar maintenance. Lemon aids digestion and speeds your metabolism. It is a powerful combination.
16. Did you catch a virus and how have a hard time getting rid of it? Mix honey with raw minced garlic to combat bacterial infections and viruses.
17. Did you return to the gym or start walking again to shape up for the summer? Create the ultimate energy drink at home. Add a dash of honey to coconot water to get energized for your daily workout.
18. Are you having trouble getting to sleep at night? Sometimes we feel anxious or stressed and it makes it difficult to relax. Honey can help alkalize the pH in your body. It acts a bit like a sedative so you feel calmer and ready to snooze.
19. Do you suffer from diabetic ulcers? If you see one forming on your skin, rub a little honey on it to relieve it and help it go away.
20. Are you feeling mild asthma symptoms now that spring has sprung? Mix honey with ginger and black pepper for some relief. HULIQ also recently shared 20 unusual uses for pepper. If you get allergies in the spring, take a spoon of honey and bee pollen early in the season to relieve them.
Honey truly is liquid gold when you consider how much it can do for us beyond making foods more delicious. Can you think of any other uses for honey? Share them with us in the comment section below!
Image Source: Wikimedia Commons Public Domain