Sugar is a sweet treat but many people are worried about cutting back on the stuff. Recently reports revealed sugar is sneaking its way into every day dishes without people realizing it. While you might not want to add more to your diet, you can use sugar for a variety of other purposes. From a body scrub to feeding your flowers, find out the many ways to sweeten your surroundings with sugar. Of course none of these tips are a substitute for advice from your doctor. People with diabetes or other sugar sensitivities should check with a doctor before using sugar for anything.
Sugar for Beauty
A recent report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention cited the “Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010” that recommends limiting the total intake of discretionary calories, including added solid fats and sugars, to 5% to 15%. Unfortunately, many Americans are consuming much more than this and it is taking a toll on their health. While you might want to put the sugar bowl away when it comes to cuisine, it is an excellent addition to your skin care regime. Consider these ways to add sugar to your beauty routine:
1. Are your pores clogged from makeup and perspiration? It's time to get rid of that dull skin with a white sugar facial mask. Mix a teaspoon of sugar with 2 tablespoons of facial cleanser and a drop or two of honey to cleanse your pores. HULIQ also offered 20 other great ways to use honey.
2. Do you want sleek and shiny legs to slip into your spring and summer shorts? Put a dash of sugar in your body wash to use as a shaving cream before you shave your legs. It will also slough off that dead skin that makes your legs look lackluster.
3. Most people have heard the expression about lips as sweet as sugar. Make yours sugar sweet by lengthening the life of your lipstick with sugar. After you put on your lipstick, put a bit of sugar on them. It will help your lipstick last longer. It also tastes sweet when you lick your lips – or give someone else a kiss.
4. Did you get stuck cleaning the greasy stove and counter in the kitchen? Wash your hands with soap and a dash of sugar as an abrasive. Watch grime wash away to make your hands feel sweet.
5. The warm weather means exposing those hairy legs you did not shave all winter. Wax away the hair naturally with a mixture of water, lemon juice and water. Make a paste, heat it in a pan then cool until it is a warm temperature. Apply it and use waxing strips to pull the hair out by the root. Your legs will stay smoother longer so you don't have to shave as often. See the video tutorial below!
6. Did you get a small cut while cooking in the kitchen but don't want to leave the area in the middle of making something special? Add a bit of granulated sugar to the cut before rinsing and tending to it. The sugar will help kill the bacteria.
7. You might not cut yourself in the kitchen but sometimes it is inevitable to burn your tongue when you taste something you're cooking. Sprinkle a touch of sugar on your tongue to ease the sting of a minor burn. This trick also works if you burn your tongue on something overly spicy.
8. Feel fabulous in your shorts when you make an exfoliating body scrub with sugar. A simple one can be made with sugar and olive oil. Create a loose paste from the mixture and add a bit of essential oil to make it smell pleasant. Vanilla extract works well or other essential oils such as almond or lavender. Rub it on your skin then rinse with warm water. HULIQ also posted other amazing ways to use olive oil.
9. Did your lips get dry and flaky during a recent day out in the sun? Toss a bit of sugar in the blender then mix it with some olive oil. Make it taste sweet with a dash of vanilla extract. Put it on your lips, massage and wipe away with a tissue. You can even lick it off if you like the taste!
10. Are you fighting pimples and blemishes from the oil and heat? Refresh your skin and zap those zits naturally. Sugar has glycolic acid to make your skin smoother. Mix a teaspoon of sugar with a few drops of lemon then apply it to your pimples to watch them disappear. HULIQ also offered other ways to use lemon for a variety of purposes.
11. Do you want your whole face to glow? Exfoliate your skin and make it prettier with a sugar face scrub. Mix a tablespoon of sugar with a few drops of fresh lemon juice, a teaspoon of honey and a teaspoon of olive oil. Apply it to your face, gently massage for a minute then rinse with warm water.
How to Use Sugar in Your Home and Garden
You don't have to gain a pound when you use sugar for a variety of reason in your home and garden such as:
12. Who needs bleach to get rid of stains when you have sugar? Mix some sugar with water and put it on grass stains and more. Let it sit for about and hour then toss the item in the wash. Voila! The grass stain will be gone.
13. Is your garden plagued with parasites such as nematodes? Knots at the roots of your plants could mean they are being attacked by parasites. Get rid of them naturally by putting a pound of sugar for every 50 square feet of garden space to create an environment that is unfriendly for these unwanted parasites.
14. With Mother's Day around the corner, you might be the recipient of some lovely fresh flowers. Keep them thriving longer by putting them in warm water with a three teaspoons of sugar and two teaspoons of white vinegar per quart. HULIQ also offered more unique ways to use vinegar.
15. Summer often means flies get in the house and try to nibble on your food. Keep them off your stuff by creating natural fly strips. Boil equal parts of sugar, water and honey in a pot until it gets thick and black. Cut strips of packing tape, punch a hole on one end and run string through it for hanging. Dip the strips into the sugar mix until they get sticky then hang them to trap the flies.
16. Nobody wants wasps hanging around their barbecue or picnic areas. Create a syrup from sugar and water then fill a jar with it. Wasps will fly into it and get trapped.
17. Roaches are nasty pests but you can get rid of them naturally. Give them their last dinner by mixing equal parts of sugar and baking powder. Put this mix where they go and it will attract them and get rid of them. HULIQ shared other useful ways to use baking soda around the house.
18. Make your coffee grinder clean again by using sugar. Pour a quarter cup of sugar into it then run it for couple of minutes. Dump out the sugar and wipe down the grinder.
19. Want to keep your cakes and cookies fresh in this warm weather then tends to spoil them more quickly? Place them in an airtight container. Add a few sugar cubes to keep them yummy for a longer period of time.
20. Nobody likes to serve moldy cheese with their crackers and wine on the deck. Store your cheese with sugar cubes so it doesn't get moldy as fast.
Can you think of other ways to use sugar for beauty and household tasks? Share your sweet ideas with us in the comments section below! Watch for more ways to use everyday kitchen items for a variety of unusual purposes.
Image Source: Wikimedia Commons Donovan Govan