Recently researchers decided to study the benefits of coconut oil to help patients with Alzheimer's. For generations, coconut oil has been used for a variety of healthy and beauty purposes. As the scent of coconut oil in sunscreen on the summer beaches fills our nostrils, consider these 20 unique ways to use coconut oil around the house.
Coconut Oil for Health and Beauty
According to the Tampa Bay Times, local findings lead the University of South Florida's Byrd Alzheimer's Institute to further research the use of coconut oil for the disease. Researchers recently received a $250,000 grant to conduct a clinical trial of the effects of using coconut oil for moderate cases of Alzheimer's. Coconut oil contains ketones that make it a possible aid for patients with the disease. From suntan lotion to pina coladas, summer is a season when we think of coconuts. Consider these ways to use coconut oil for enhanced health and beauty.
1. Is your hair getting dried out from exposure to the sun and surf? Infuse it with moisture using coconut oil. Liberally apply it to your hair and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes. Then shampoo it out for silky locks.
2. Does your hair look like a frizzy mess in the summer humidity? Calm it down naturally by using coconut oil. Rub a little between the palms of your hands then apply to your wet or dry hair to keep it smooth and soft. It also adds a fabulous scent!
3. Are your exposed feet getting dry and calloused? Coat them with coconut oil before you go to bed and put on a light pair of socks. Your feet will be softer in the morning and it helps to prevent athlete's feet. It can also be used to soften your cuticles before a manicure and pedicure.
4. Waterproof mascara is a lifesaver when you spend summer days in the pool or at the beach. But it can be difficult to remove at the end of the day. Use coconut oil to gently remove your eye makeup.
5. Patches of eczema and psoriasis can become painful and dry. Smooth them away over time by applying a layer of coconut oil.
6. Is your baby prone to diaper rash and irritations? Steer clear of chemical diaper rash ointments that could cause more irritation. Smooth on a layer of coconut oil to soothe and prevent diaper rash.
7. Has the summer sun made your lips dry and parched? Exfoliate them by making a scrub from coconut oil and sugar. Rub the paste on your lips to get rid of the dry skin. Consider these other 20 amazing ways to use sugar.
8. Did you get heartburn or indigestion from attending too many summer barbecues? Some of those barbecue sauces can be really hot! Take a tablespoon of coconut oil to help your upset tummy feel better.
9. Are you feeling hot and bothered from too much time in the sun? Soothe your sunburn by applying a layer of coconut oil. It also makes you smell great and makes a terrific natural perfume for the balmy summer season.
10. A bath is a relaxing way to end the day. Infuse your bath water with moisture by adding a couple of drops of coconut oil. Make it even more fragrant with a drop or two of lavender oil for a calming dose of aromatherapy.
11. Are you pregnant or did you just have a baby? Coconut oil is sure to come in handy. Use it to prevent or eliminate the signs of stretch marks. It can also be applied to the sore nipples of mothers who breastfeed their babies.
12. While it might be slightly abrasive, you can make your own natural toothpaste with coconut oil. Simply mix it with baking soda to brush your teeth and make them whiter. Consider these 20 other ways to use baking soda around the house.
13. People of all ages can benefit from using coconut oil on their skin. It combats that stubborn summer acne and can help reduce the signs of dark spots and age spots from sun exposure. Smooth it all over your body for soft skin. It also helps to reduce the appearance of cellulite over time.
14. Many people suffer from serious allergies throughout the spring and summer. Rub a bit of coconut oil inside your nostrils to relieve them of dryness from allergies and sneezing.
15. Summer is a season when you perspire and it causes a nasty underarm odor. Coconut oil makes an excellent underarm deodorant.
16. Some men don't like the chemical scent or feel of traditional shaving creams but they don't want nicks and cuts. Smooth on a layer of coconut oil before you shave.
Using Coconut Oil Around the House
Coconut oil is notoriously wonderful for health and beauty purposes. But you can also use coconut oil for some useful purposes around the house.
17. Do you have luxurious leather furniture but it's starting to get dry? Clean it with a damp cloth then apply a layer of coconut oil to make it moist.
18. A smooth cutting board is the best surface for cutting those fresh summer fruits and vegetables. Condition your cutting board every week with a layer of coconut oil.
19. Are your bronze accessories starting to look tarnished and dull? Rub them down with a soft cloth coated in coconut oil.
20. Do you want your wooden furniture to gleam? Mix coconut oil with a few drops of lemon oil to polish your furniture. Check out these 20 other ways to use lemons around the house.
Who knew you could use coconut oil for so many purposes! Below is a video featuring Dr. Oz discussing the benefits of coconut oil. Can you think of other great ways to use coconut oil? Share them with us in the comments section below!
Image Source: Wikimedia Commons