The MFA holds one of the most important collections of historic footwear in the United States. From ancient Egyptian and Nubian sandals to new acquisitions representing the best in contemporary design, it provides a rich source for exploring the shoe and its cultural significance.
The exhibition format of Shoes, unlike any shoe exhibition seen in the past, will place approximately 30 pairs of shoes throughout the MFA's galleries and examine the shoe in relationship to works of art in other media. For example, a pair of wedges with rococo carved heels from the current MIU MIU collection will be exhibited with 18th-century carved furniture, and a pair of 17th-century shoes will be exhibited with a genre painting by the Dutch artist Eglon van der Neer, in which a man wears a similar style of shoes.
These provocative juxtapositions will provide insights into the history, ornamentation, and cultural importance of footwear. The exhibition will be a treasure hunt throughout the Museum for those determined to find every example on display, and will also provide intriguing surprises for those visitors who happen to stumble upon them.
The picture shows Pair of Chopines, Venetian, Possibly 1740s.
The exhibition runs from September 29, 2007 to March 23, 2008 throughout the Museum of Fine Arts' galleries. -- www.mfa.org
Stay in touch with HULIQ NEWS on Twitter @HULIQ
- MasterChef 4 premieres: Greenback flambé, a wedding proposal, and redemption
- Spare ribs marinade ideas for Memorial Day grilling
- Feed Your Late-Night Cravings on 'Last Call Food Brawl'
- Can a Low-Carb Flaxseed Meal Muffin Really Taste Good? YES!
- Edible life on Mars? NASA explores 3-D pizza printers
- 20 Exciting Ways to Use Eggshells For Home and Garden
- Carlos Santana's $65 Supernatural Napa Valley wine
- Operation BBQ dishes up good food to Oklahoma tornado victims
- Cake mix recall, Eco-Cuisine self reports
- Regrowing Foods from Kitchen Scraps Can Save Money Year-Round
- HGTV Memorial Day Cocktails Liven Up Summer Parties
- Four foods a day to keep the doctor away
- Apples to Whole Grain: why and how these 17 foods fight cancer
- Good Eggs Needed for the Chief Egg Officer Search Contest
- Meatless Monday's 10 Hot Tips For Tasty Summer Grilling That'll Get You Fired Up For A Healthy BBQ Season