They're the two best-selling "American Idol" alums in the history of the show and their music is up for a combined six Grammy Awards at the 2013 ceremony.
Although there are a number of singing competition reality series on television, none have had the impact on the music industry like "American Idol." And nothing solidifies a music artist's place -- other than sheer sales volume -- within the industry as an approving nod from the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences, the nominating body that draws up the lists of candidates that eventually become the final nominees for the Grammy Awards. For the 2013 awards, the 55th Annual Grammy Awards, "American Idol" again saw graduates of the show nominated. Season 1 winner Kelly Clarkson and Season 4 winner Carrie Underwood had scored six Grammy nods between them.
Kelly Clarkson posted four award nominations for her 2010 album, Stronger, bringing the Texas singer's total personal Grammy nominations to nine (she's won two) over her decade-long career. She's been nominated for Record of the Year (for "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You), Best Pop Solo Performance (for same) and Best Pop Vocal Album for her fifth studio album,Stronger. The title song is also up for Song of the Year, where the award goes to the songwriters (in this case: Jörgen Elofsson, Ali Tamposi, David Gamson, and Greg Kurstin).
According to She Knows Entertainment, Clarkson's nomination for Record of the Year is a first for an "American Idol" alum.
Carrie Underwood pulled in two nominations for the 2013 Grammy show, bringing to ten her total nominations (she's won four) over the seven years she's been recording. The Oklahoma singer is up for Best Country Solo Performance for "Blown Away," the title track to her fourth studio album. The song is also up for Best Country Song (songwriters: Josh Kear and Chris Tompkins).
The 2013 nominations were announced at during "The GRAMMY Nominations Concert Live!!" on CBS Wednesday evening, Dec. 5, in Nashville, Tennessee. Dan Auerbach (The Black Keys) was included in a group of nominees that were all nominated for six Grammys each: FUN., Jay-Z, Mumford & Sons, Frank Ocean, and Kanye West. The Black Keys as a group was nominated for five. So were Chick Corea, and Miguel. Jeff Bhasker, Bob Ludwig, and Nas were nominated for four each. Kelly Clarkson led a host of artists with three nods each (remember: Clarkson's fourth award is via association; the actual award for Song of the Year is presented to the songwriters), including Gotye, Rihanna, Bruce Springsteen, Taylor Swift, Jack White, Drake, Hunter Hayes, and Esperanza Spalding.
Eligibility for nominees for the 55th Annual GRAMMY Awards spanned the time period Oct. 1, 2011, to Sept. 30, 2012.
The 2013 Grammys will be broadcast live on CBS Television on February 10, 2013, from the Staples Center in Los Angeles. The show is scheduled to begin at 8 p.m. (EST).
Take Home Message: Awards are great but so is simply being nominated, getting official acknowledgment and recognition from colleagues, fans, and peers. Getting awards are the bonuses of not only a job well done, but also of work deemed a cut above the average.
(photo credit: RCA, Wikimedia Commons, Fair Use)
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- MasterChef 4 premieres: Greenback flambé, a wedding proposal, and redemption
- Spare ribs marinade ideas for Memorial Day grilling
- Feed Your Late-Night Cravings on 'Last Call Food Brawl'
- Can a Low-Carb Flaxseed Meal Muffin Really Taste Good? YES!
- Edible life on Mars? NASA explores 3-D pizza printers
- 20 Exciting Ways to Use Eggshells For Home and Garden
- Carlos Santana's $65 Supernatural Napa Valley wine
- Operation BBQ dishes up good food to Oklahoma tornado victims
- Cake mix recall, Eco-Cuisine self reports
- Regrowing Foods from Kitchen Scraps Can Save Money Year-Round
- HGTV Memorial Day Cocktails Liven Up Summer Parties
- Four foods a day to keep the doctor away
- Apples to Whole Grain: why and how these 17 foods fight cancer
- Good Eggs Needed for the Chief Egg Officer Search Contest
- Meatless Monday's 10 Hot Tips For Tasty Summer Grilling That'll Get You Fired Up For A Healthy BBQ Season