Kris Allen was involved in a car wreck on New Year's Day, but he also had some great news to share with his fans -- he's going to be a father.
"American Idol" Season 8 winner Kris Allen's new year certainly came in with a bang. Both he and his wife were involved in a car crash on New Year's Day. And judging by the shape of the vehicle (a photo of a twisted machine which was posted to Instagram the next day), he and his wife, Katy, were fortunate to get out of the crumpled vehicle alive.
Kris' mother, Kimberly Allen, posted to her Twitter account on New Year's Day, "From Kris: he's in a lot of pain, arm broke, may not play guitar for a while. Prayers welcome please! #headoncollision." Accompanying the tweet was a photo of a wide-eyed Kris, his arm in a cast, his neck in a brace. Later she added, "Kristopher and Katy are both pretty beat up but ALIVE! Thank you Jesus! They are setting his arm now and will have surgery tomorrow."
Even Kris thought he was lucky to only need surgery on his wrist. He posted to Twitter, "Thank you @Ford for equipping me with a car that kept my whole family @katyallen @ZorroPup and the little one we have on the way safe."
And in case you didn't catch that, the Season 8 winner slyly slipped in that his wife and he were expecting. Katy escaped the accident with only minor bruises.
Later in the day, Kris posted confirmation. "Yes I got in a really bad wreck tonight and yes I'm having a lil baby. #gonnabeadaddy"
The child will be his and his wife's first child.
He also reassured his fans that he was okay, save for the wrist, and that his tour was still on. He followed that message with the Instagram photo of his car, which was demolished in a head on collision. He captioned the photo: "Glad to make it out of this #outalive"
In light of the car crash and given that the name of his upcoming tour is "Out Alive Tour" (after a song on his sophomore album, Thank You Camellia), there is now some added significance in what has become a double entendre.
The car crash and surgery (scheduled for Friday, Jan. 4), not to mention the news of baby, followed a December that saw the Season 8 winner drop a holiday EP, Waiting for Christmas, and performed an online concert just days before Christmas where he dedicated an original song to the victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting tragedy in Connecticut.
Kris Allen released his second album, Thank You Camellia, back in May.
"American Idol" will be looking for winner number twelve starting on Jan. 16 when the show returns to Fox Television.
To keep up with Kris Allen, go to his official website at KrisAllenOfficial.com.
Take Home Message: Life is full of adversity. It is also full of opportunity and celebration. Never allowing adverse conditions or situations get the better of one provides a more open-minded outlook on what the future might hold. Setting goals, like getting back to work and providing for one's family, can help us mentally circumvent or at least ameliorate the malignancies in life, making them far more bearable.
(photo credit: Annalee Barclay, Wikimedia Commons)
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- Totally loco number of Doritos Locos Tacos sold in just over a year will blow your mind
- Crazy liquored-up ice cream collection captures 'free spirit' of F. Scott Fitzgerald's muse
- An American original: Oscar Mayer introduces the first bacon hot dog: The Bacon Dog
- Food Suggestions to Help Decrease PMS Symptoms
- Eat, drink and argue: dinner table spats on reality TV
- San Francisco residents cut out popular restaurant's bacon fat, literally
- Two New York Times Food Writers take a grocery shopping tour (video)
- Gary Cole, federal prisoner: Taco Bell stole his Doritos Locos Tacos idea
- Reduce your kidney stone risk by 23 percent by doing this
- HGTV Kitchen Cousins Are Coming Back for More
- Celebrity chef allegedly killed over poorly prepared noodles
- KFC smuggling in Gaza with labor problems in US (VIDEO)
- Weekend Recipe: Rainbow chard, cherries and balsamic with grilled trout
- Deer Corn Recall Issued, FDA Indicates Possible Aflatoxin Contamination
- Cooking with Kale: Easy Recipes to Get You Started with This Superfood