Fast food chain Taco Bell has finally decided to introduce Cool Ranch Doritos Locos Tacos, but you can still construct your own before running for the border.
Finally, just a year after the enormously successful launch of probably the most favorably welcomed fast food menu item in history, the Doritos Locos Tacos, the nation's largest Mexican-style fast food chain has announced a launch date for what many assumed would be a quick pairing -- the Cool Ranch Doritos Taco. The highly anticipated addition to Taco Bell's menu is now set to go on sale in March.
As loco as it might seem, Taco Bell has waited and waited to add the cool ranch version of the Doritos-inspired taco to their menu, even after the traditional nacho cheese-flavored Doritos Locos Tacos sold far better than expected. In fact, they sold like -- no, they sold better than hotcakes (because, really, how many time have you ever seen headlines for hotcakes selling at an unprecedented rate?). They sold better than McDonald's hamburgers. When sales passed the 100 million mark in June 2012, just after 10 weeks on the Taco Bell menu, that number was reached 17 and a half years ahead of McDonald's hamburger sales in a comparable timeline. In fact, to date Taco Bell has moved over 350 million of the Doritos tacos.
Greg Creed, chief executive officer, Taco Bell Corp., said in a press release: “There has been enormous interest in the new Cool Ranch flavor of Doritos Locos Tacos and people are wondering why it took so long. Originally we had planned to launch the Cool Ranch flavor in the same year as the introduction of Doritos Locos Tacos. However, the demand for Nacho Cheese Doritos Locos Tacos was so strong that we worked closely with our partner Frito-Lay to increase our capacity and meet the needs of both Doritos Cool Ranch and Nacho Cheese fans.”
So there you have it. Enormous interest, unprecedented sales, and logistical problems with such sales led them to delay the launch of the cool ranch taco. So now we know.
But what will it taste like? Will the tangy-sour cool ranch taste meld well with the Taco Bell sauce, seasonings, lettuce and tomatoes? Probably. One of the reasons the cool ranch edition of the Doritos Locos Taco was so late in arriving might have been an enhancing of the taco in some way. More cool ranch powder on the shell. Perhaps the development of a different, subtler taco sauce to be used with the new taco.
Regardless, it is finally here. The new Cool Ranch Doritos Locos Tacos will be available to consumers on March 7 (364 days after the launch of the original).
Until then: The Desperate Man's Recipe For Creating Your Own Cool Ranch Taco
For those who can't wait, here's a suggestion. (This will hopefully pre-empt the terminally idiotic from driving hundreds of miles to get a Doritos Locos Taco as well. Remember that commercial?) Go grab a couple of hard-shell Taco Bell tacos (or make your own). Grab a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos (or a generic brand to your liking). Then do one of two things. One: Take about six flat cool ranch chips and wedge them down inside and against the taco shell (outside all the taco ingredients, effectively making a second layer of tortilla shell). Or Two: Take a handful of cool ranch chips and crush them into a flakes and pieces, then sprinkle liberally over your taco. Voila! You've got a Cool Ranch Doritos Taco Bell Taco (or your own generic version).
(photo credit: Frito-Lay, Taco Bell, PepsiCo, Yum Brands)
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- Four foods a day to keep the doctor away
- Apples to Whole Grain: why and how these 17 foods fight cancer
- Good Eggs Needed for the Chief Egg Officer Search Contest
- Meatless Monday's 10 Hot Tips For Tasty Summer Grilling That'll Get You Fired Up For A Healthy BBQ Season
- Totally loco number of Doritos Locos Tacos sold in just over a year will blow your mind
- Crazy liquored-up ice cream collection captures 'free spirit' of F. Scott Fitzgerald's muse
- An American original: Oscar Mayer introduces the first bacon hot dog: The Bacon Dog
- Food Suggestions to Help Decrease PMS Symptoms
- Eat, drink and argue: dinner table spats on reality TV
- San Francisco residents cut out popular restaurant's bacon fat, literally
- Two New York Times Food Writers take a grocery shopping tour (video)
- Gary Cole, federal prisoner: Taco Bell stole his Doritos Locos Tacos idea
- Reduce your kidney stone risk by 23 percent by doing this
- HGTV Kitchen Cousins Are Coming Back for More
- Celebrity chef allegedly killed over poorly prepared noodles