After a year away from the "American Idol" stage, Haley Reinhart returned to wow the audience again with her first single, "Free."
Haley Reinhart returned to the "American Idol" stage during the Top 10 results show Thursday evening and performed the first song from her debut album. And if the rest of the album is as good as the first offering, "Free," the young Ms. Reinhart will have little to worry about with regard to a successful career.
The 21-year-old was pretty happy with the performance as well, taking to Twitter to post: "Had a great time performing on idol again! I'm actually tweeting from my cage right now... ;) Shout out to Wade Robson, thanks mista!"
(For those not in the know, Wade Robson is a world-renowned choreographer. He designed the set and Reinhart's act. He's connected to the show via Nigel Lythgoe and "So You Think You Can Dance.")
Haley began the number from inside a large golden cage. By the time the song kicked into its chorus, the cage lifted and she pranced the stage. Done up in a tight red jumper with a gauzy red train, the Season 10 third-placer moved across the stage like she owned it, reminding the audience of her sense of presence that garnered her quite a few fans last year when she performed songs like "I, Who Have Nothing" and "House of the Rising Sun."
"Free" is both a musical throwback to an old bluesy torch singer style (vocally, think Billie Holiday) and a 70s-like piano-driven tune, very in keeping with the Billy Joel theme employed for the week by the "Idol" producers.
Reinhart's performance followed that of Lana Del Rey's "Video Games," a song that barely broke the Billboard Hot 100. However, Del Rey's album, Born To Die, has hit the top of the charts in over 20 countries, including the U. S.
Reinhart was the third "American Idol" alumnus to take the stage this season. Lauren Alaina, who finished one spot above her in the Season 10 heirarchy, performed on the Top 13 results show, singing her hit "Georgia Peaches" from her first album, Wildflower. Season 5's Christ Daughtry stepped out with his band during the Top 11 results show, promoting their just-launched single, "Outta My Head," from his gold third album, Break The Spell.
And there will be other "Idol" alums performing as well. Season 10 winner Scotty McCreery is scheduled, according to Fox Flash, to debut his latest single, "Water Tower Town," from his platinum first album, Clear As Day. Season 10 fourth-place finisher James Durbin is also set to perform in an upcoming episode.
The Hollywood Reporter noted that Season 7 winner David Cook has been booked as well, tentatively scheduled for May. Season 8 runner-up Adam Lambert, who is scheduled to drop his new album, Trespassing, in April or May is also on the slate. And there are rumors that Season 7 winner Kris Allen might also appear to promote his sophomore album as well.
Haley Reinhart's debut album will hit stores on May 22. "Free" went into radio rotation and became available for purchase on March 20, two days before the "American Idol" live debut performance. The song can be found at iTunes and Amazon and can actually be obtained free by pre-ordering her album, Listen Up!, at her official website, HaleyReinhart.com.
(photo credit: Michael Tanne, Creative Commons)
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- Eat, drink and argue: dinner table spats on reality TV
- San Francisco residents cut out popular restaurant's bacon fat, literally
- Two New York Times Food Writers take a grocery shopping tour (video)
- Gary Cole, federal prisoner: Taco Bell stole his Doritos Locos Tacos idea
- Reduce your kidney stone risk by 23 percent by doing this
- HGTV Kitchen Cousins Are Coming Back for More
- Celebrity chef allegedly killed over poorly prepared noodles
- KFC smuggling in Gaza with labor problems in US (VIDEO)
- Weekend Recipe: Rainbow chard, cherries and balsamic with grilled trout
- Deer Corn Recall Issued, FDA Indicates Possible Aflatoxin Contamination
- Cooking with Kale: Easy Recipes to Get You Started with This Superfood
- Zoe Saldana Reveals Her Weight as Women of All Sizes Strive for Confidence
- Outdoor grilling lessons - get ready for summer
- Where are Marley 12 oz cold coffee cups sold?
- Hot weather dinner salad - asparagus, tomatoes and tuna