Will it happen again? The International Rubik's Cube Competition returns to the Exploratorium on Sunday, January 18th, from 10am-4:30pm. This event is included in the price of admission to the Exploratorium.
Entry into the competition is open to anyone, although only the very fastest solvers will advance to subsequent rounds. Registration is from 10-11am. Competition begins at 11am.
Events will include the 3x3x3, 4x4x4, and 5x5x5 speed solves, the 3x3x3 blindfold solve, the 3x3x3 one-handed solve, and Rubik’s Magic.
Possible competitors in San Francisco who hold world records include:
* Toby Mao (Fastest single 3x3x3 solve, 10.48 seconds, set at the Exploratorium)
* Leyan Lo (Fastest 3x3x3 Blindfold Solve, 1:28:82)
* Frank Morris (Fastest 5x5x5 Average, 1:58:66, set at the Exploratorium
* Ryan Patricio (Fastest 3x3x3 One-Handed solve, 20.09 seconds, set at the Exploratorium)
* Bob Burton (Fastest Rubik’s Magic Average, 1.34 seconds, set at the Exploratorium)
Other notable competitors:
* Tyson Mao, Cube-loving cast member of the TV show “Beauty and the Geek Two”
* Top female solvers Casey Pernsteiner, Brittany Dzoan, Ambie Valdes, and Shelley Chang
The Caltech's Rubik's Cube Club is responsible for hosting all of the World Cube Association-sponsored Rubik's Cube competitions in the United States, drawing participation from around the world. The Exploratorium has been bringing the Caltech-sponsored Rubik's Cube Club competition to the Bay Area since 2005. Today's event is presented in conjunction with the Rubik's Cube clubs of CalTech, U.C. Berkeley, and Stanford. -- www.exploratorium.edu