The Kimbell Art Museum, Fort Worth has commissioned the distinguished filmmaker Philip Haas to create a series of film installations that interpret and elaborate upon paintings and objects in the museum’s permanent collection. The exhibition of this collection is named 'Butchers, Dragons, Gods & Skeletons'.
The installations feature poetic and sensuous moving images that appear on unconventional screen configurations and are enhanced by architectural and sculptural effects as well as original music. It will be on view from July 18 to October 25, 2009.
One moment the images form themselves into an uncanny re-creation of the chosen piece from the collection, the next they give a vivid new form to ideas and visual delights it has suggested. In this way the installations are both beautiful works of art in themselves and invitations to look at art with imaginative abandon. They will complement a full display of the Kimbell's permanent collection, each occupying a space near the work to which it relates.
The first installation in the series, Haas’s response to Annibale Carracci’s The Butcher’s Shop (early 1580s), has already been shown to acclaim at the 2008 Venice and Toronto film festivals. At least four further installations are planned for the exhibition.
The subjects are: the Red-Figure Cup Showing The Death of Pentheus and a Maenad by the ancient Greek vase painter Douris (c. 480 B.C.); a Chinese scroll painting, Arhat Taming the Dragon (early 14th century); Apollo and the Continents by G. B. Tiepolo (c. 1739); and Skeletons Warming Themselves by James Ensor (1889).
Before becoming a filmmaker, Philip Haas studied art history at Harvard. He has made documentaries with artists as well as a number of feature films, including the Oscar-nominated Angels and Insects (1995).
The picture shows Philip Haas directing 'The Butcher's Shop,' 2008. -- www.kimbellart.org
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- Totally loco number of Doritos Locos Tacos sold in just over a year will blow your mind
- Crazy liquored-up ice cream collection captures 'free spirit' of F. Scott Fitzgerald's muse
- An American original: Oscar Mayer introduces the first bacon hot dog: The Bacon Dog
- Food Suggestions to Help Decrease PMS Symptoms
- Eat, drink and argue: dinner table spats on reality TV
- San Francisco residents cut out popular restaurant's bacon fat, literally
- Two New York Times Food Writers take a grocery shopping tour (video)
- Gary Cole, federal prisoner: Taco Bell stole his Doritos Locos Tacos idea
- Reduce your kidney stone risk by 23 percent by doing this
- HGTV Kitchen Cousins Are Coming Back for More
- Celebrity chef allegedly killed over poorly prepared noodles
- KFC smuggling in Gaza with labor problems in US (VIDEO)
- Weekend Recipe: Rainbow chard, cherries and balsamic with grilled trout
- Deer Corn Recall Issued, FDA Indicates Possible Aflatoxin Contamination
- Cooking with Kale: Easy Recipes to Get You Started with This Superfood