Repeating a line from one of his favorite songs was enough to get D'Avonte Meadows suspended from his elementary school.
D'Avonte, a 6-year-old first grade boy at Sable Elementary School in Aurora, Colo., earned a three-day suspension for what school officials called sexual harassment.
So what was D'Avonte's crime? Inappropriately touching a fellow student? Trying to kiss a girl? Using sexually provocative language? Turns out D'Avonte's suspension resulted from the boy merely singing a line from a famous LMFAO song.
While standing in the school's lunch line, D'Avonte approached a female classmate and sang the verse, "I'm sexy and I know it." The song by the same name was released by dance band LMFAO in September and hit No. 1 on the Billboard Top 100 in January.
The action may seem innocent, but there is a back story that the school administration is pointing to as a reason for D'Avonte's suspension. Apparently, this was not the first time the boy had expressed the sexy lyric to the same girl. Doing so last month earned the boy a trip to the principal's office and a stern warning.
Additionally, D'Avonte's mother, Stephanie Meadows, reported that her son also shook his rear-end in the girl's face as he sang the song. And while Stephanie plans to have a talk with her son about the inappropriateness of his actions, she thinks the three-day suspension is a little harsh.
“I could understand if he was fondling her, looking up her skirt, trying to look in her shirt. That, to me, is sexual harassment,” Meadows said in an interview with ABC7 News. “I’m just, I’m floored. They’re going to look at him like he’s a pervert. And it’s like, that’s not fair to him.”
Stating privacy laws, the school district will not discuss the decision in detail. D'Avonte, a special needs student who started at Sable in January, isn't sure what the hubbub is all about.
"I only just said the song," the boy told ABC7.
There are certainly some lines from the song that could have landed D'Avonte in more trouble. Other lyrics include:
- "I got a passion in my pants and I ain't afraid to show it."
- "And when I'm at the beach, I'm in a Speedo trying to tan my cheeks."
- "No shoes, no shirt, and I still get serviced."
Maybe it was a good thing D'Avonte only remembered the chorus.
Image Source: Wikimedia Commons
Video Source: ABC News
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- Deer Corn Recall Issued, FDA Indicates Possible Aflatoxin Contamination
- Cooking with Kale: Easy Recipes to Get You Started with This Superfood
- Zoe Saldana Reveals Her Weight as Women of All Sizes Strive for Confidence
- Outdoor grilling lessons - get ready for summer
- Where are Marley 12 oz cold coffee cups sold?
- Hot weather dinner salad - asparagus, tomatoes and tuna
- In Which HGTV Giveaway Home Can You Find This Kitchen?
- Food Allergies: Which Allergens Are Recognized by Law?
- Grapefruit and prescription meds, when are they safe to mix?
- Fish oil may prevent junk-food brain damage
- Fans request Peanut Butter Pop-Tarts, and get it
- 5 reasons to love wine spritzers
- The Sharks Come Out on The Chew and the Crew Gags
- Justice served: 'food porn' photo lands ID thieves in jail
- 105-Year-Old Granny's secret to a long life: Bacon, and lots of it