Spring is just around the corner and that is when many homeowners decide to take on some home improvement projects. We all like to get our projects done in the Spring so we can enjoy the benefits throughout the warm days of summer.
Many people opt for the DIY method of home improvements, but there are always those special projects that we just need a professional’s touch to accomplish.
Getting things done the right way will save you money and aggravation in the long run. When you are ready to sell your home, having projects completed by professionals will make your home much more appealing to buyers. Buyers can tell when improvements have been done by a licensed contractor verses a do-it-yourselfer.
There are some things you should consider when hiring a contractor to do any home improvements to your home. Here are a couple of tips as you move forward with your plans:
1. Check with the Better Business Bureau to make sure there are no consumer complaints about the contractor.
2. Ask for references from the contractor during your first meeting.
3. Verify that the contractor is insured and bonded.
4. Make sure the contractor has all necessary licenses for the type of work to be performed.
5. Inquire about City permits. Some contractors may tell you that a permit is not required but the City where you live can verify this for you.
6. Obtain multiple bids so that you can compare the project cost between contractors.
7. Get it in writing! Be sure to get bids and contracts in writing. Never accept a verbal bid.
8. Verify payment options. Never pay for the project in cash and never pay in advance. Most contractors will require a deposit and sometimes they may ask you to front the cost of materials. Make sure that you have the opportunity to inspect the final project before making the final payment.
Home Improvements are hectic enough with strange people at our homes and everything in disarray. Make sure you feel comfortable with all aspects of your contractor before moving forward.
Finally, make sure you don’t just post an ad on Craig’s List when looking for a contractor. Ask for referrals from your friends or visit www.findacompany.org to see a list of BBB Accredited Businesses.
If you have any questions about hiring a contractor for your home improvement needs, feel free to contact me at Aspen Lane Real Estate.