7 year old developed paralysis from tick bite

Rain Silverhawk's picture
tick bite in homes

Check for ticks when in the woods. Tick paralysis will usually start with the legs and move to the trunk, arms and head within hours and may lead to respiratory failure and death. This usually affects animals and children under the age of 10. Once the tick is removed the symptoms will diminish but it could be potentially fatal.

Last week I was showing land to a couple who had kids. They returned home and their 7 year old daughter was sick for 2 days. On the third day she could not move her legs. They rushed her to the hospital and found that she had been bitten by a tick on her head and the tick had released a neuro toxin into her blood stream that produced a paralysis.

Tick paralysis occurs when a female tick with eggs attaches to a host usually on the scalp and becomes engorged. An undetected tick produces the highest dose of the toxin on the 5th to 7th day of attachment. Paralysis will usually start with the legs and move to the trunk, arms and head within hours and may lead to respiratory failure and death. This usually affects animals and children under the age of 10. Once the tick is removed the symptoms will diminish but it could be potentially fatal.

Remember to check for ticks when out in the woods and especially remind your clients with children to do so as well. Finding a tick bite early on can save you from a potentially deadly and positively scary event.

Comments

Oh that is terrible for that child. Yes we all need to be on guard and not think we are exempt. Even when showing houses in tall grass that hasn't been cut it can happen. Beware.

Add new comment