Architecture, Design Of Kamp Kill Kare At Adirondack Museum

Beatrice Garvan, former Curator of Decorative Arts at the Philadelphia Museum of Art and a member of the family that owned the camp, will present a slide-illustrated lecture entitled Creative Collaborations: the Architecture and Design of Kamp Kill Kare at the Adirondack Museum at Blue Mountain Lake, N.Y. on August 13, 2007.

Kamp Kill Kare, located on Lake Kora south of Raquette Lake, New York is one of a handful of surviving nineteenth-century Adirondack Great Camps, described by Historic Preservation magazine as “rustic stage sets of the Gilded Age.”

Part of the museum’s Monday Evening Lecture Series, the program will be held in the Auditorium and will begin at 7:30 p.m. There is no charge for museum members. Admission is $4.00 for non-members.

In 1898 Timothy Woodruff, Theodore Roosevelt’s lieutenant governor, built Kamp Kill Kare described by a visiting reporter as a “palatial log home.” The camp was purchased in 1913 by Alfred G. Vanderbilt, who sold it the following year to Francis P. Garvan. A fire caused severe damage to the camp’s main building in 1915. Garvan hired architect John Russell Pope, known for his Beaux Arts designs for buildings such as the National Gallery of Art in Washington, and designer Charles C. Hiscoe to help with the reconstruction.

Garvan will discuss Kamp Kill Kare’s historic development and artistic significance.

Beatrice B. Garvan served as Curator of American Decorative Arts at the Philadelphia Museum of Art for thirty years. She has served on the Board of the National Trust for Historic Preservation and as President of the Board of the Library Company of Philadelphia. In the Adirondacks Mrs. Garvan serves on the Advisory Council of Adirondack Architectural Heritage. -- www.adkmuseum.org

Add new comment