Designers of Finland's Olkiluoto 3 nuclear reactor knew as far back as 2001 that it must be able to withstand an airplane attack.
That's what the Finnish public was promised when the construction license was issued. Yet today, the company announced further delays in construction due to problems with reinforcing the reactor building to withstand an airplane crash.
Olkiluoto is the only example of a European Pressurised Reactor (EPR), the technology flagship of the nuclear renaissance, on which construction work has been started.
The company responsible, TVO, also estimated that the1600 MW reactor would cost 2.5 billion euros and take four years to build. The costs now exceed four billion euros,
and the reactor construction is at least two years behind schedule. The project was supposed to require no public subsidies, but in reality is reliant on an export guarantee financed by French and Swedish taxpayers, and a dirt-cheap loan from public banks.
"The nuclear industry says it has changed, and the EPR is their flagship in claiming to provide a low-cost 'mature' carbon neutral technology," said Greenpeace nuclear campaigner Jan Beránek. "The chronic delays and setbacks at the Olkiluoto plant shows that this new design carries all of the same old problems: complications, escalating costs, chronic safety issues, delays and a lack of transparency."
The companies involved, TVO and STUK should immediately make public the list of quality and safety problems in the Olkilouto reactor construction. There are now 1,500 listed quality deviations and many of reactor components crucial to reactor safety have been remanufactured or repaired.
"The warnings from the Olkilouto nuclear fiasco must be heeded by other governments," continued Beránek. "Nuclear power is an expensive distraction from real solutions to climate change. No more time or money should be squandered on this deadly twentieth century relic." -Greenpeace
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- MasterChef 4 premieres: Greenback flambé, a wedding proposal, and redemption
- Spare ribs marinade ideas for Memorial Day grilling
- Feed Your Late-Night Cravings on 'Last Call Food Brawl'
- Can a Low-Carb Flaxseed Meal Muffin Really Taste Good? YES!
- Edible life on Mars? NASA explores 3-D pizza printers
- 20 Exciting Ways to Use Eggshells For Home and Garden
- Carlos Santana's $65 Supernatural Napa Valley wine
- Operation BBQ dishes up good food to Oklahoma tornado victims
- Cake mix recall, Eco-Cuisine self reports
- Regrowing Foods from Kitchen Scraps Can Save Money Year-Round
- HGTV Memorial Day Cocktails Liven Up Summer Parties
- Four foods a day to keep the doctor away
- Apples to Whole Grain: why and how these 17 foods fight cancer
- Good Eggs Needed for the Chief Egg Officer Search Contest
- Meatless Monday's 10 Hot Tips For Tasty Summer Grilling That'll Get You Fired Up For A Healthy BBQ Season