With four or five years of efforts, there will be at least one million new-energy vehicles to be produced in China by 2010, accounting for 10% of the country's total auto output that year, a technology official in China said recently, as reported by state media today.
On a new-energy auto forum held on August 31, China's Science and Technology Minister Wan Gang first made clear the production goal of one million new-energy vehicles in 2010 in China. He said that if 10% of China-made vehicles can use new energy, the country would save 780 million liters of oil and reduced the carbon dioxide emissions by 2.3 million tons each year. But currently new-energy vehicles only have gained less than 1% market share in China.
During the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games in August, the operation of many new-energy vehicles proved to be a great success. Wan noted that this successful practice is expected to boost the development and production of new-energy vehicles in China's auto industry.
About 600 new-energy vehicles, including 55 electric-lithium-cell buses, 25 hybrid buses, 75 hybrid sedans, 20 fuel-cell sedans, and 410 electric cars, were used for ferrying athletes and spectators of the Olympics last month.
The Beijing Olympics is seen as a landmark in China's energy-efficiency drive and new-energy vehicle development.
The global sports event had offered a golden opportunity for Chinese carmakers to develop new-energy vehicles independently with cutting-edge technologies, but it is no easy task to for them to produce one million such vehicles in 2010, said the minister.
By George Gao From: Gasgoo.com
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- 20 Exciting Ways to Use Eggshells For Home and Garden
- Carlos Santana's $65 Supernatural Napa Valley wine
- Operation BBQ dishes up good food to Oklahoma tornado victims
- Cake mix recall, Eco-Cuisine self reports
- Regrowing Foods from Kitchen Scraps Can Save Money Year-Round
- HGTV Memorial Day Cocktails Liven Up Summer Parties
- Four foods a day to keep the doctor away
- Apples to Whole Grain: why and how these 17 foods fight cancer
- Good Eggs Needed for the Chief Egg Officer Search Contest
- Meatless Monday's 10 Hot Tips For Tasty Summer Grilling That'll Get You Fired Up For A Healthy BBQ Season
- Totally loco number of Doritos Locos Tacos sold in just over a year will blow your mind
- Crazy liquored-up ice cream collection captures 'free spirit' of F. Scott Fitzgerald's muse
- An American original: Oscar Mayer introduces the first bacon hot dog: The Bacon Dog
- Food Suggestions to Help Decrease PMS Symptoms
- Eat, drink and argue: dinner table spats on reality TV