The San Francisco Marathon is, to be honest, not the standard-bearer of San Francisco footraces. Instead, that honor is held by The Bay-to-Breakers, which is a 12K footrace held on the third Sunday in May, and full of wacko costumes and centipedes. Still the San Francisco Marathon saw its 32nd running on Sunday, July 25th.
The San Francisco Marathon is, however, just a big a hassle for San Francisco drivers as is the Bay to Breakers. The race include a full marathon, two half marathons (one for each half, naturally), and a 5K. Except for 1988, the marathon has been held annually since 1977. It is a Boston Marathon qualifier, as well.
The San Francisco Marathon is a loop course. it starts and finishes on the Embarcadero (near the Ferry Building). The Full Marathon runs through Fisherman's Wharf, the Marina, across the Golden Gate Bridge (which means Bridge traffic is affected, to the horror of San Franciscans), through the Presidio and into Golden Gate Park. After winding through Golden Gate Park, racers run down famous Haight Street and through the Mission, Potrero and Mission Bay Districts. After a pass behind the San Francisco Giants' AT&T Park runners run under the Bay Bridge to the Finish Line.
The 2010 San Francisco Marathon was expected to draw some 24,000 official entrants, scattered through all the various sub-races. While traffic disruptions were expected along the 26.2-mile marathon route, but race officials said all roads would be cleared by 12:30 PM PDT.
The winner of the men's side of the San Francisco Marathon was Keith Bechtol, who finished at 2:23:28. Among the women, the top finisher was Chikara Omine at 2:42:12.
In the first Half Marathon of the San Francisco Marathon, Michael Davitian was the winner, at 1:15:10. The women's winner was Kristi Rossi at 1:25:41. Half Marathon 2 was won by Matt Kane on the men's side, at 1:04:40, while the women's side was won by Jenni Johnson at 1:18:32.
Meanwhile, the 5K run of the San Francisco Marathon was won by Cesar Mireles at 17:17. The women's winner was Carola Conces at 18:59.
The San Francisco Marathon also has something called the Progressive Marathon. The results of that race are not in at the time of this writing. Progressive Marathon participants run or walk 26.2 miles over a period of weeks or months, with their final 3.1 miles performed on San Francisco Marathon Race Day in either the 5K Run or the 5K Walk.
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- Cake mix recall, Eco-Cuisine self reports
- Regrowing Foods from Kitchen Scraps Can Save Money Year-Round
- HGTV Memorial Day Cocktails Liven Up Summer Parties
- Four foods a day to keep the doctor away
- Apples to Whole Grain: why and how these 17 foods fight cancer
- Good Eggs Needed for the Chief Egg Officer Search Contest
- Meatless Monday's 10 Hot Tips For Tasty Summer Grilling That'll Get You Fired Up For A Healthy BBQ Season
- Totally loco number of Doritos Locos Tacos sold in just over a year will blow your mind
- Crazy liquored-up ice cream collection captures 'free spirit' of F. Scott Fitzgerald's muse
- An American original: Oscar Mayer introduces the first bacon hot dog: The Bacon Dog
- Food Suggestions to Help Decrease PMS Symptoms
- Eat, drink and argue: dinner table spats on reality TV
- San Francisco residents cut out popular restaurant's bacon fat, literally
- Two New York Times Food Writers take a grocery shopping tour (video)
- Gary Cole, federal prisoner: Taco Bell stole his Doritos Locos Tacos idea