Baatin, a Detroit rapper and member of Detroit rap collective Slum Village, is dead. The cause of his death has not been revealed.
Baatin was born Titus Glover in 1974. He, Jay Dee (also known as J Dilla), who died in 2006 of cardiac arrest, and T3 formed a group and called themselves Ssenepod. In 1991, they changed their name to Slum Village.
The group changed members several times over the years. The original Slum Village "Fantastic, Vol. 1" and "Fantastic, Vol. 2." Jay Dee then left the group and was replaced with Elzhi.
However, then the Slum Village trio became a duo (T3 and Elzhi). Baatin became sick touring in France shortly before the release of their 2004 album, Detroit Deli (A Taste of Detroit) and left for undisclosed medical reasons.
Recently, it was announced that Baatin had rejoined Slum Village. A new album, "Villa Manifesto," was scheduled to be released September 22.
The news that Baatin was dead spread virally on Saturday. It appeared on Twitter, and fans left messages on Baatin's MySpace page.
It is unclear if Baatin's death is in any way related to his 2004 diagnosis of schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and depression. May he RIP.
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- MasterChef 4 premieres: Greenback flambé, a wedding proposal, and redemption
- Spare ribs marinade ideas for Memorial Day grilling
- Feed Your Late-Night Cravings on 'Last Call Food Brawl'
- Can a Low-Carb Flaxseed Meal Muffin Really Taste Good? YES!
- Edible life on Mars? NASA explores 3-D pizza printers
- 20 Exciting Ways to Use Eggshells For Home and Garden
- Carlos Santana's $65 Supernatural Napa Valley wine
- Operation BBQ dishes up good food to Oklahoma tornado victims
- Cake mix recall, Eco-Cuisine self reports
- Regrowing Foods from Kitchen Scraps Can Save Money Year-Round
- HGTV Memorial Day Cocktails Liven Up Summer Parties
- Four foods a day to keep the doctor away
- Apples to Whole Grain: why and how these 17 foods fight cancer
- Good Eggs Needed for the Chief Egg Officer Search Contest
- Meatless Monday's 10 Hot Tips For Tasty Summer Grilling That'll Get You Fired Up For A Healthy BBQ Season