Stephen Hawking, 62, the world-famous physicist who has been a victim of ALS since his early 20s, was born in Oxford, England and still lives in the U.K. He teaches at the University of Cambridge. That makes this paragraph from an Investor's Business Daily editorial, that has since been edited, an out-and-out lie.
As pointed out by the Washington Post's Ezra Klein, the paragraph, since removed, read:
People such as scientist Stephen Hawking wouldn't have a chance in the U.K., where the National Health Service would say the life of this brilliant man, because of his physical handicaps, is essentially worthless.
This editorial, of course, builds on the so-called "death panel" rumors that continue to fly, despite the fact that the GOP, or at least some GOP members, admit that the panel doesn't exist in the bill.
Oh, additionally, there is no taxpayer money allocated to abortions, either, and any public plan will have an option to allow, or disallow, abortions from coverage.
Here's what Hawking said about the U.K.'s version of Universal Health Care.
"I wouldn't be here today if it were not for the NHS. I have received a large amount of high-quality treatment without which I would not have survived."
Sorry, guys, he's here because of NHS.
As many forget, statistics which can easily be found at UNICEF's site show that, as of 2007, the U.K. has a longer lifespan than the U.S., as does Canada. They both have lower infant mortality rates than the U.S., as does Cube! Cuba has an equivalent lifespan to the U.S. Someone's doing something wrong, and it's not these countries, who all have some form of Universal Health Care.
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- MasterChef 4 premieres: Greenback flambé, a wedding proposal, and redemption
- Spare ribs marinade ideas for Memorial Day grilling
- Feed Your Late-Night Cravings on 'Last Call Food Brawl'
- Can a Low-Carb Flaxseed Meal Muffin Really Taste Good? YES!
- Edible life on Mars? NASA explores 3-D pizza printers
- 20 Exciting Ways to Use Eggshells For Home and Garden
- Carlos Santana's $65 Supernatural Napa Valley wine
- Operation BBQ dishes up good food to Oklahoma tornado victims
- Cake mix recall, Eco-Cuisine self reports
- Regrowing Foods from Kitchen Scraps Can Save Money Year-Round
- HGTV Memorial Day Cocktails Liven Up Summer Parties
- Four foods a day to keep the doctor away
- Apples to Whole Grain: why and how these 17 foods fight cancer
- Good Eggs Needed for the Chief Egg Officer Search Contest
- Meatless Monday's 10 Hot Tips For Tasty Summer Grilling That'll Get You Fired Up For A Healthy BBQ Season