The gunman at the heart of the Fort Hood tragedy has been identified. He is Major Nidal Malik Hasan, aged 39 or 40, according to the report.
Details about Major Nidal Malik Hasan are sketchy. Information coming in from various media sources are simply conjecture. However, military analysts seem to believe that Hasan would, due to his rank, have had to have been deployed either to Iraq or Afghanistan in the recent past.
Major Malik Nadal Hasan opened fire on other soldiers at the Fort Hood Soldier Readiness Facility, where soldiers who are preparing to deploy go for last minute checkups and preparation. The facility is 117,000 sq. ft. in size, which so Hasan had a great deal of space to operate in, perhaps explaining the large number of those killed or wounded before he was himself killed.
Reports indicate that the soldiers in the Readiness Center were being prepared for deployment to Iraq, not Afghanistan. In addition to Major Malik Nadal Hasan, two other soldiers have been arrested, but those two have not yet been identified. Hasan apparently used two handguns in his rampage, but it is unclear if the other two were involved in shootings.
Besides Major Malik Nadal Hasan, eleven fellow soldiers have been killed, and 31 were wounded. At least one of those killed was reported a defemse contractor serving as an MP at the base.
Fort Hood was created in World War II as a training and testing center for the U.S. Army's tank destroyers. These were mobile gun platforms on half-tracks and needed a considerable amount of space. An acquisition of 108,000 acres was made, and in Sept. of 1942, the location opened. Fort Hood remains the largest U.S. Army base in the world.
Fort Hood continues to be locked down in the aftermath of the incident. There as yet has been no motive determined for Major Malik Nadal Hasan's massacre of his fellow soldiers.
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- MasterChef 4 premieres: Greenback flambé, a wedding proposal, and redemption
- Spare ribs marinade ideas for Memorial Day grilling
- Feed Your Late-Night Cravings on 'Last Call Food Brawl'
- Can a Low-Carb Flaxseed Meal Muffin Really Taste Good? YES!
- Edible life on Mars? NASA explores 3-D pizza printers
- 20 Exciting Ways to Use Eggshells For Home and Garden
- Carlos Santana's $65 Supernatural Napa Valley wine
- Operation BBQ dishes up good food to Oklahoma tornado victims
- Cake mix recall, Eco-Cuisine self reports
- Regrowing Foods from Kitchen Scraps Can Save Money Year-Round
- HGTV Memorial Day Cocktails Liven Up Summer Parties
- Four foods a day to keep the doctor away
- Apples to Whole Grain: why and how these 17 foods fight cancer
- Good Eggs Needed for the Chief Egg Officer Search Contest
- Meatless Monday's 10 Hot Tips For Tasty Summer Grilling That'll Get You Fired Up For A Healthy BBQ Season