More Details Emerge About Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan

Michael Santo's picture

More information has emerged about Major Nidal Malik Hasan, the alleged gunman in the tragic Fort Hood, TX massacre that occurred this afternoon at approximately 1:30 PM CST. Hasan entered the Fort Hood oldier Readiness Facility, where soldiers who are preparing to deploy go for last minute checkups and preparation, began shooting with two handguns, and ended up killing 11 others before he himself was killed by MPs. Thirty-one were wounded.

The details that have emerged about Major Nidal Malik Hasan include the fact that he is apparently a psychiatrist, according to information on the Virginia Board of Medicine website.

Major Nidal Malik Hasan is a graduate of Virginia Tech University, where he was a member of the ROTC and earned a bachelor's degree in biochemistry in 1997. He received his medical degree from the military's Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Md., in 2001. He worked at Darnall Army Medical Center, which is in Fort Hood. At one time he served at Walter Reed Army Hospital

Major Nidal Malik Hasan is also, according to Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchinson (R-TX), originally from Jordan. He was also, according to Hutchinson, going to be deployed to Iraq, and was quite unhappy about it. He was on active duty.

As a psychiatrist, it is unclear why Major Nidal Malik Hasan would have "gone postal," as this type of event is commonly called. That question may remain open for a considerable period of time.

Both Congress and President Barack Obama took time to address the Fort Hood tragedy. Obama, speaking from the White House, said, "My immediate thoughts and prayers are with the wounded and with the families of the fallen. We don’t yet know all the details at this moment. We will share them as we get them. What we do know is that a number of American soldiers have been killed and even more have been wounded in a horrific outburst of violence. It is horrifying that they should come under fire at an Army base on American soil."

Congress, meanwhile, held a moment of silence this afternoon during proceedings, out of respect for the dead and the wounded.

While two other soldiers besides Major Nidal Malik Hasan were initially taken into custody, they were later released, Christopher Haug, a base spokesman, told CNN. Haug said that another soldier has since been detained.

A press conference has been scheduled at the base for later in the day. We will update our coverage when that takes place.

Add new comment