Avatar has done the inevitable. The James Cameron blockbuster has dethroned another James Cameron blockbuster, to become the number one movie of all time.
20th Century Fox said on Tuesday that Avatar has become the highest-grossing film worldwide. As of Monday, Avatar had brought in $1.859 billion at the box office, surpassing the $1.843 billion worldwide record set by 1997's Titanic.
Temporarily, at least, Titanic remains the number one domestic film, with $600.8 million. Avatar, which has been top of the box office for six consecutive weeks, has a domestic total of $554.9 million. Last weekend it passed The Dark Knight to become the second highest-grossing film domestically.
It is, of course, true that Avatar has the advantage of inflated ticket prices. Today’s average is $7.46, up from $4.69 in 1998 when "Titanic" was in theaters. Additionally, Avatar commands a higher price for those viewers who see the movie in 3D, or still higher, IMAX. Imax theaters are scheduled to continue showing Avatar until a Walt Disney 3D film, Alice in Wonderland, opens on March 5.
There seems to be no end in sight for Avatar, however. Informal estimates are that Avatar will surpass $2 billion, and perhaps $2.5 billion by the end of its run.
Written by Michael Santo
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- KFC smuggling in Gaza with labor problems in US (VIDEO)
- Weekend Recipe: Rainbow chard, cherries and balsamic with grilled trout
- Deer Corn Recall Issued, FDA Indicates Possible Aflatoxin Contamination
- Cooking with Kale: Easy Recipes to Get You Started with This Superfood
- Zoe Saldana Reveals Her Weight as Women of All Sizes Strive for Confidence
- Outdoor grilling lessons - get ready for summer
- Where are Marley 12 oz cold coffee cups sold?
- Hot weather dinner salad - asparagus, tomatoes and tuna
- In Which HGTV Giveaway Home Can You Find This Kitchen?
- Food Allergies: Which Allergens Are Recognized by Law?
- Grapefruit and prescription meds, when are they safe to mix?
- Fish oil may prevent junk-food brain damage
- Fans request Peanut Butter Pop-Tarts, and get it
- 5 reasons to love wine spritzers
- The Sharks Come Out on The Chew and the Crew Gags