Apple usually holds a September music-focused event, but this year, will it include TV as well? A Tuesday Bloomberg report seems to point in that direction.
Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS all in discussions with Apple on 99-cent TV show rentals
According to the report, Apple has nearly sealed a deal with Fox on 48 hour TV episode rentals. The report also says that CBS, NBC, and Disney (ABC) are also involved in negotiations. One notable board member at Disney is, of course, Apple CEO Steve Jobs.
The report says that Bloomberg's anonymous sources indicate that the episodes will be available withing 24 hours of their broadcast, and will be ad-free. An event is planned for Sept. 7th (Apple typically sends out invitations a week before an event), the sources added.
Because of the state of the negotiations, its possible that only Fox and ABC would appear at the event. CBS and NBC are not as far along as the other two networks.
According to the sources, the new a la carte rental model follows a failed attempt to create a subscription service. That sort of subscription-based iTunes service has been rumored for some time. Reportedly, the subscription service's failure was because the networks didn’t want to endanger revenue that they receive from cable TV providers.
In addition to introducing the new TV episode rental program, the sources said Apple will also introduce a new iPod touch with a higher-resolution screen, similar to the "retina display" on the iPhone 4, as well as a $99 version of its Apple TV set-top box. The new Apple TV box will have a smaller hard drive than the earlier version of Apple TV, which is now 3 years old, and will be designed to let people stream content from iTunes, one source said.
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- Operation BBQ dishes up good food to Oklahoma tornado victims
- Cake mix recall, Eco-Cuisine self reports
- Regrowing Foods from Kitchen Scraps Can Save Money Year-Round
- HGTV Memorial Day Cocktails Liven Up Summer Parties
- Four foods a day to keep the doctor away
- Apples to Whole Grain: why and how these 17 foods fight cancer
- Good Eggs Needed for the Chief Egg Officer Search Contest
- Meatless Monday's 10 Hot Tips For Tasty Summer Grilling That'll Get You Fired Up For A Healthy BBQ Season
- Totally loco number of Doritos Locos Tacos sold in just over a year will blow your mind
- Crazy liquored-up ice cream collection captures 'free spirit' of F. Scott Fitzgerald's muse
- An American original: Oscar Mayer introduces the first bacon hot dog: The Bacon Dog
- Food Suggestions to Help Decrease PMS Symptoms
- Eat, drink and argue: dinner table spats on reality TV
- San Francisco residents cut out popular restaurant's bacon fat, literally
- Two New York Times Food Writers take a grocery shopping tour (video)