Group releases sequel to 'Kony 2012' viral video

Michael Santo's picture

On Thursday, the group Invisible Children released a new follow-up video to the viral "Kony 2012" film, which is aimed at focusing global awareness on atrocities committed by Ugandan rebel leader Joseph Kony and his Lord's Resistance Army.

Ben Keesey, CEO of Invisible Children, said, in a statement announcing the new 20-minute video "Kony 2012: Part II - Beyond Famous" that "We [Invisible Children] want people to dig deeper into this conflict and actively engage in the solutions. Keesey added that the latest video is "a call to turn global awareness into informed action."

The sequel had been originally scheduled to air on April 3. However, but for some unknown reason, Invisible Children pushed back its unveiling to April 5.

Invisible Children says that "Kony 2012: Part II - Beyond Famous" provides a more detailed examination of the Lord's Resistance Army and outlines regional efforts to end violence in central Africa. In addition to Uganda, the Lord's Resistance Army also operates in South Sudan and the Central African Republic.

The original video went viral, accumulating over 86 million hits on YouTube since it was first posted. While its success has been hailed as an inspiration for young people, it has also put Invisible Children and Jason Russell, the public face of the organization, into a somewhat uncomfortable spotlight.

In March, Russell, 33, who starred in, directed, and narrated the first "Kony 2012" video, suffered what doctors called a brief psychotic breakdown. Russell was apprehended by San Diego police after running nude through the streets of the city, shouting incoherently and pounding his fists on the pavement.

A statement later issued by the family said that the diagnosis was "brief reactive psychosis."

"The preliminary diagnosis he received is called brief reactive psychosis, an acute state brought on by the extreme exhaustion, stress and dehydration. Though new to us, the doctors say this is a common experience given the great mental, emotional and physical shock his body has gone through in these last two weeks."

Meanwhile, the organization continues to work on the agenda it has outlined in terms of violence and more in Africa. What is both sad and alarming is that the organization said that the Lord's Resistance Army has abducted over 50 people in central Africa since "Kony 2012" was launched about a month ago.

You can watch the video below.

Source

Image Source Wikimedia Commons

Add new comment