It's unclear if Mattel waited until the boffo box office results for The Hunger Games to come in or not, but the huge mega-toy company has announced that Katniss Everdeen, who was played by Jennifer Lawrence in The Hunger Games film, will now become a Barbie doll.
Mattel's Barbie Collector site is currently in the midst of producing a custom collectible doll inspired The Hunger Games movie. Doll though it may be, Mattel said that the Katniss Everdeen doll is being created "specifically for the adult collector.. It will be available for purchase on BarbieCollector.com and other retail channels.
The Hunger Games was on target for its first week of box office receipts, taking in $155 million in North America alone. It also set a record for a spring release, topping the 2010 Tim Burton-directed Alice in Wonderland. Debuting in March of that year, Alice took in $116.1 million over its first three days in March 2010. Alice went on surpass $1 billion in ticket sales at the global box office.
The Hunger Games' weekend results followed a huge first day of ticket sales. The film took in an estimated $68.25 million in ticket sales, which ranks fifth on the all-time list of first day sales behind Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 ($91.1 million), Twilight: New Moon ($72.7 million), Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 1 ($71.6 million) and Twilight: Eclipse ($68.5 million). The Hunger Games was slightly ahead of The Dark Knight ($67.2 million), and also beat another Alice in Wonderland record ($40.8 million) for a non-sequel.
A "collector" who goes over to the Barbie Collector website will see dolls of other fictional movie and TV characters. Front and center on the site, with the debut of a new season of AMC's "Mad Men" is a set of dolls based on the series. There are also Barbies configured to look like the heroine of another teen favorite movie: "Twilight."
There are also doll versions of such real-life celebrities as the Duchess of Cambridge, Kate Middleton and of course Prince William as well, and dolls based on the reality television series Dancing with the Stars, too.
Barbie Collector dolls are big ticket items for dolls. For example, Twilight-themed dolls inspired by Bella and Edward's wedding were released in February and sell for around $30. Still, unlike what most people think of Barbie, Katniss seems like an unlikely choice for a doll, as she isn't a fashion queen or anything.
Image Source: Wikimedia Commons
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- Looking for work this summer? US restaurant industry will add 448,000 summer jobs
- Eating Low-Carb on Memorial Day Can Be Surprisingly Simple
- 4 Grilled shrimp marinade ideas for Memorial Day
- HGTV Memorial Day Weekend Party Menu Ideas are Classic Favorites
- 4 Chicken marinade ideas for Memorial Day grilling
- Edible body scrubs made from foods and sugar in your kitchen
- Kill guests with kindness, not unhealthy drinks this Memorial Day
- MasterChef 4 premieres: Greenback flambé, a wedding proposal, and redemption
- Spare ribs marinade ideas for Memorial Day grilling
- Feed Your Late-Night Cravings on 'Last Call Food Brawl'
- Can a Low-Carb Flaxseed Meal Muffin Really Taste Good? YES!
- Edible life on Mars? NASA explores 3-D pizza printers
- 20 Exciting Ways to Use Eggshells For Home and Garden
- Carlos Santana's $65 Supernatural Napa Valley wine
- Operation BBQ dishes up good food to Oklahoma tornado victims